Clean up crew in :)

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
my tank was bein over run with diatoms i beleive so i ordered a clean up crew and got it yesterday.. it came like 25min. before i had to leave for work so i started floatin the bags as soon as i could and when my wife came home i filled her in on how to finish the process.. i got 10 Astera, 10 Margarita,5Cerith and 5 Nassarus snails and a replacement Peppermint Shrimp for the last one that didn't make it.. happy to say the snails are doing their job great! i can see most of the rocks again.. they were covered in what looked to be dust? guessin that was diatoms.. the peppermint on the other hand.. hes kinda hiding under a rock on the very bottom of the tank just swayin back and forth not eating any apista :mad: .. hopefully he will come out of hiding and get to work! do you guys think 30 snails is over kill for a 55g? i think i got a good price for em only paid 40 shipped.. what else will eat apista? hopefully my camera comes monday because i have alot of stuff i want ID'd and with a good camera it will be alot easyier for all of us lol.. ,

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
not overkill at all, cleaners are valuable assets.

Dont be worried about the peppermint hell come out in due time.

DId you buy these guys from a reefer or was it a website?

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
joe just keep looking for a good price, for sand sifting purposes only they are worth every penny. I have a preference for the tongan nassirus, Nassarius distortus, the lfs here sells them for $2 I have 6. I also like astreas because they are great at cleaning the glass and they are cheap $1.5. I have 2 mex. turbos $2 but I'm not a fan of them because they bump & knock stuff over.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i got a mix so they could all do different things and help with the differnt problems.. got the nassarius to keep the sand clean.. astera to clean the glass and margarita for algae and the cerith b/c everyone seems to have them lol so they gotta be good for some algae or something.. hope the shrimp comes out.. you can barely see him hes under the lowest rock i have lol

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
me? i got mine from a local place but i ordered them over the phone b/c i can't take 3 hrs out of my day for a round trip there and back.. they were shipped ups.. 30 bucks 30 snails not to bad

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Single peppermints can be pretty ineffective against aiptasia, especially if you are overfeeding and have a good few. They also DON't only eat aiptasia so keep an eye on that xenia.
If you have multi, reproducing aiptasia, and an ongoing diatom problem I would say you might want to look at getting your filtration working. Both would be symptoms of overfeeding, and using tapwater for water changes

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
no more diatonms just happened once? i joe juice the stupid apista but it keeps comming back more and more lol.. i have 9 on 1 rock! stupid shrimp hasn't touched any yet just sways back and forth back and forth...

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
there is no definite proof, despite what people say, that peppermints eat apstasia, some do, some don't. then again, I never had aiptasia, I hear joe's juice works really well. As far as snails and hermits imo the more the merrier, I have like 30-40 nassarius, 15 astrea, 1 turbo, all in a 40 gallon with about 40 hermits.