cleaner and fire shrimp mysterious death

Apr 11, 2006
I woke up today and found that my cleaner and fire shrimp died. I was very mad. I don't know why, nitrate, nitrite and amonia are all ok. I just did a water change two days ago, about 10 gallons. my fish tank is 46gals. so 1/4 I guess. Oh, my timer when off and all the powerhead as well as the filter went dead for the night. I just got the timer, wrong programing. Anyways, do you guys know what cause my cleaner and fire shrimp to die?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If your powerhead and filter both went dead for the night, something related to that is almost certainly the problem. Did you test pH in the morning? That could have dropped. There could also have been an oxygen drop that killed them.

Apr 11, 2006
If oxygen depeletion is the case then how come my clerk clown fish is still alive. I am starting to miss my two shrimp especially my fire shrimp. oh, i forgot to mention, i dose b-ionic with the with water change, I don't think that had killed my shrimps, but I thought I'll just mention it.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
MOLTING??? that thought is still hauting me, when I took out the shrimps, I thought they were dead, but when I think about it after I threw them away, maybe they are justing molting. I'll be extremely mad at myself if i threw them away thinking they were dead, but actually maybe they were just molting. The fire shrimp had his claw stuck on the rock like a molting position. The cleaner shrimp was under a rock (cave) and looked dead. I grab their attenna and they did not move, when they molt, can they move if you touch them?

They both were doing fine last night. Since the tank is in my room, I always turn off the filter at night but leave the powerheads on. Oh forgot to mention, one of the powerhead was on, but it didn't break the surface.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
My fire shrimp just molted last week, and my cleaner shrimp molted two weeks ago. I don't think they will molt that fast, but I have seen my cleaner shrimp molt 3-4 times per month. I don't have my fire shrimp long enought to observe that. Through this investagation, if i find that my shrimps were just molting, I will be soooo mad at myself.