cleaner shrimp breeding

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i was wondering how hard it would be and exactly what would be involved... i have an extra 20 gallon tank and im trying to figure out what to use it for ;)

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Put a couple together, they'll be friend in a second. Their belly will be filled with eggs ( can see tru' ...greenish color ) . After a couple of weeks, zillions of babies will crawl on the rocks. Usually baby brine and phytoplankton is the way to go, but you can use flake food that you crushed with your hands.
There will be a lot of mortality. I had babies, they grew...but they ended as food for my perc and mostly my firefish. So..i guess when no fishies are around it can be done

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's easy to get babies, hard to get them to adulthood in any numbers. There's a book by April Kirkendoll I believe that has step by step instructions on raising peppermint shrimp - Lysmata are all much the same

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well lets put it this way, people deliberately spawn them in refugium tanks as the fry are very good eating for many typical tank inhabitants (both fish and corals). They do need to be separated.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well i like i said i got an extra 20 gallon tank sitting around.... i planed on throwing in some sand and a few rocks and a pair of cleaner shrimp ... just wanted to check and see how hard itll be and exactly what ill need