cleaner shrimp

schrophi

Small Fish
Apr 19, 2005
Tampa
I m new to the SW tanks and I was curious about the cleaner shrimp. Are they really that much better than the peppermint shrimp> WHats the difference?
I heard cleaners dont eat algae is that right?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the shrimp might eat a little algae but i wouldn't count on it...for some reason people seem to think they are an integral part of a cleanup crew but i really don't see things that way

the cleaners are less shy than peppermints ime

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i just have to put my hand into the tank and my 2 scarlet skunk shrimps jump on me. It tickles ;) . Very fun addition to the tank. Also fish cleaners junkies, they always want to ride and check for parasites. Dunno if they are super efficient, but fun to watch riding a tang in motion.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I think shrimp are purely ornamental in a tank--but it is pretty neat watching them clean fish (my yellow watchman goby went "submissive" on my cleaner, who rolled him around and "dragged" him along during cleaning)
just a warning--cleaners from the Lysmata genus have been known to eat cnidarians and other soft corals

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
They're definitely nice to have, but the blood is very , very shy.

But in all honesty seeing as your tank seems to have some problems , adding anything doesn't seem very smart. Certainly they won't eat your algae.