Cleaning Calcium and water marks? How?

Apr 10, 2005
Vancouver Island BC Canada
Hey all...

I've got a 25 gallon, used tank here, with some calcium and water marks on it. I'd love to get it set up and start a fishless cycle ASAP, but I'd like to clean the tank up better.

So far I've tried vinegar but the calcium stains are just not coming off... I'm tempted to use CLR LOL :) Help :) Any ideas??

Sarah

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
When we got our used tank, I just used a rasor blade to scrape off the build-up, and then vinegar water to wipe it off. It worked great! Just be careful not to scratch the glass. If yours is an acrylic tank, I don't know what would work.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
It's a toughie to get off! I use really hot hot water (as long as it's safe for the tank - is it glass or acrylic?). If the tank or hood (sans light bulb fixture of course) is small enough I put it in the shower stall and let hot water run over it from the shower head...I have never been successful in getting it all off but it does make a difference. That, and a bit of elbow grease.... ;)

Apr 10, 2005
Vancouver Island BC Canada
:)

Thanks you two.... Its a 25 gallon, glass tank. I had cleaned it in the bathtub, and used hot hot water.... even filled it full of hot water when I checked to see if it would leak. *SIGH* I'll try the razor blade I guess. :) The calcium marks are even on the hood of the tank too. blah

Sarah :)
*twirlysmi *GOLDFISH*

when i got my 20 gallon my tank was covered in calcium and my dad just scrubbed it and used a heck load of vinegar and a powerful water sprayer thingy (one of those guns you connect to the water hose). It took like 1 to 2 hours to get everything clean tho, and still there are some calcium on the bottom of the tank but most of it is clean =)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Good luck with that...sounds like you tried what I would have. Like Kelly said...hot water and elbow grease :) how long did you try soaking it? I have to take the lid of my 15 and soak it once in awhile but the buildup usually comes off pretty easily with some scrubbing. You could always try a weak bleach solution (as dechlorinator will make that harmless for fish) and see if that would do anything...I dont know that it would.