Cleaning my Filter

talk2mejjv

Small Fish
May 5, 2006
I need to know if I can clean my filters out. They have a lot of gunk and white "fungus" type stuff. I heard that you aren't supposed to clean them because it will mess up the biological arrangement of the tank. I have an Aqua Tech 30-60 Gallon filter. It has two replaceable filters and the two "biofiber" filters(the dirty ones). What should I do and how should I do it? Thanks for your help in advance.​

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Are you sure you see fungus? If so that's not normal!:eek: Any how, yes you are actually suppose to clean the filter cartridge out every month or so. Just swoosh it around in old tank water or dechlorinate water in a bucket then squeeze them out. Your biological filter will be fine.

Side note, if you use the new water in a bucked be sure to try and match the temp of the clean water to the tank temp. Sudden drastic changes in temp can kill off the bacteria.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
The only reason you ever want to replace any of the filtre media is if it is torn and worn out and no longer being effective.

Otherwise simply rinse it in water you take out during water change and replace it back in your filter.

Rohn

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Hi tank...

I believe your Aqua Tech filter comes with a bio-wheel, correct? If so, then that wheel should never need to be replaced and you shouldn't need to clean it. That wheel is where most of the beneficial bacteria are located, so you don't want to kill those bacteria. You can clean the plastic tabs to help the wheel spin better if there is gunk built up there, but don't clean the grey/brown wheel ridges.

For the filter cartridges, those are the ones that should be rinsed in old tank water (or fresh dechlorinated water) - and then replaced if they are so old that they're falling apart.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :)