Cleaning ornaments.

dax

Small Fish
Mar 27, 2006
Canada
I have some plastic and silk plants in my tank which I vacume off when I clean. However there is still gunk on them that will not come off by rubbing it off. I tried soaking them in hot water but that does not work either. Any suggestions for using something non toxic to fish to clean my plants and ornaments? I know I probally dont have many options as most cleaners are toxic to fish. Thank you!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
One of the silk plants I bought came with cleaning directions... it said to leave the plant out of the water long enough for it to completely dry, and then stuff should just scrub off of it. I haven't tried this, so I don't really know if it works.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
For your plastic plants, you can make a dilute solution of bleach and water (quater of a cup per gallon of water). Allow them to soak for a while, say 15 minutes, and with a little rubbing/scrubbing, they should come clean. Dip them in clean water with extra dechlor to get rid of the chlorine. This method may not work for your silk plants, so a toothbrush might work better.