cleaning stressfull?

Mar 6, 2006
could gravel vac'ing my small hex with my fish still in it be more stressfull than removing him to a cup during cleaning? I usually do about a 1 gal change or about 75%. Should i also remove my snail?

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
I clean my tanks with the fish in it. I think it would be more stressful for them to be scooped up with the net and placed else ware then back in the tank. I don't take the snail out either.

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
i think it depends on the length of time. Naturally it should be quick, but i think taking him out of his environment isn't a good idea. Either way hes gonna get shocked, but leaving him in his tank will probably reduce the shock

Mar 6, 2006
the problem is that my tank is only 2 gallons so its hard not to spook him with the siphon. I've tried putting him in a cup and he seemed calm but i would rather avoid the chance of drastic temp changes etc related to removing him.

tank_angel

Small Fish
May 7, 2006
St.Thomas, Ont
i tihnk placing them in a cup or a clean juice pitcher would be less stressful but that my own opinion

p.s jsut fill the cup or watever with ur tank water if ur worryed about the water temp changes .ect