cleaning tanks

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I just scored a bunch of tanks, they are older and in rough shape but as long as they don't leak i should be able to fix them up! So my question is: how do I clean the calcium buildup on the tanks without leaving posionous residue that will kill all my future fish? Also, one of the tanks is missing a piece of black moulding on the the bottom...can this stuff be purchased and clued on?

Thanks,

Jenn

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If they're glass tanks, you can scrape hardened on stuff off with a razor edge. Or, if it's just scummy, you can use diluted bleach and just rinse really well afterwards, and use some extra dechlorinator afterwards (it deactivates bleach).

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
as for the black moulding...um...you might want to check that tank very well for leaks before even trying to worry about it...maybe put that edge at the back if you can. Usually that is part of the frame and support of the tank...so if its broken off...i'd be a little wary of it.

Usually good ol fashioned hot water and elbow grease works the best on that buildup...or the bleach like caps said, it'd probably be good to use too just because you dont know whats been in those tanks etc so it'll disinfect em too.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
Really? I always thought that black moulding was to hid the joints and glue...its seems so flimsy to support anything... that's good to know. Oh I hope it doesn't leak! I will be so pissed. If it's going to leak will I know right away or am I going to come home one day to find my basment flooded and fish jerky lying on the floor??

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
it does, but usually its one piece that is around the bottom of the tank...so the form is its own part of the support. I'd personally fill the tank up on a flat surface (backyard? Basement?) somewhere it'd be ok if it leaked...and just let it sit there filled up for a day or two and make sure everything is dry. Thats what I do with ALL of my tanks (new and used). Just make sure when you fill them up to wet all of the seals pretty well...I had a brand new tank bust a seal on me because I filled it up with water too fast and the seal had apparantly dried out while it was sitting on a shelf somewhere. SO now I make a point of rubbing all of the seals down before and while I'm filling the tank to try and make sure that doesn't happen again.