Cleaning used tank?

Small Fish
Feb 10, 2006
I just acquired a fish tank from a neighbor who was no longer using it. It had been stored. How should I go about cleaning it? Can I use bleach? Suggestions?

lou48314

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sterling Heights, MI
I have another question about cleaning a used tank....
I have just gotten one out of a garage and I wonder if I should recaulk it too. It is a 50GL.
It has been sitting for about six or seven years out there. It even has the old substrate in it too.
What would all of you do?

Jan 29, 2006
bradford,NH
i recently had to do this, plus the tank i aquired had old hard algae on it. i just put reeeaally hot water in it and let it set, then wiped the SNOT out of it with paper towels. worked great for me....

Jan 29, 2006
bradford,NH
i really wish i had taken a pick of the tank. it was a solid 1/16 algae layer all over the tank. once it absorbed water a bit it did look like snot, but anyways. it took me about 2 hours to clean it completely, this is what it looks like....

Attachments

Apr 2, 2005
One suggestion - Look the tank over carefully for scratches after you get it cleaned up. I picked up a used 45 gallon and the previous owner must have used steel wool on it. One of the long sides has numerous scratches in the glass. The other long side is much better. Of course, I didn't notice and put the bad side toward the front.

kc17

Jan 29, 2006
bradford,NH
hehe, glad you guys like it. unfortunately i had to buy a new hood but i got a used mini bio-wheel filter so i never had to cycle it. i was going to say dont use steel wool either. i used hot hot water and a paper towel, not cloth as it leaves lint, deoderants and other stuff behind. and most importantly no chemicals. glad you like the tank!!!