clear gooey stuff...

Nov 13, 2007
Ok....I have a 55 gallon tank, freshwater, mostly guppies, I had two catfish and the pet store owner said they like algae wafer and so would my algae eater. So, I bought some and dropped a couple in. They went uneaten. I tried to remove them, but they sort of dissolved. Anyway, where they landed, there is this clear gooey stuff growing...is it from the wafers, or coincidence?

Question 2: I had 6 guppies--two males, four females....three of the females were new....I took my time introducing them into the tank....they did fine for a few days.....I took one out into a smaller tank since she was close to having her babies...the 2 catfish seemed to be bothering one guppy so I removed them and put them into a separate tank (well cycled 10 gallon)....since, the female in the other tank died, one female in the 55 gallon tank died and this morning, the two catfish were dead also....were the three new guppies sick? The reason I didn't quarantine the new guppies in the 10 gallon is because of the two huge goldfish (I was afraid they would eat them). I asked the pet store owner about quarantining them and she said it wouldn't be necessary if I equalized the water temp....I've since read conflicting info on that.........

And I don't beleive they had ich either.....

Sorry for writing a whole book here, but I really want my fish to live and my tanks to be successful.....I'd love the feedback......

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Yes, the "gooey" stuff is likely from the algae wafers rotting in your tank (this isn't good for water quality!), try to remove them completely or do a gravel vac to get out the dissolved portions of them if you try this again. Second, it is likely the new fish were sick, but could also be from a number of other things. The stress of moving, change in water PH, etc. Make sure your water parameters are perfect in each tank, adding new fish can cause a spike in parameters.

Where do these goldfish come in? They aren't in the same tank as the guppies are they?

Nov 13, 2007
Yes. I've had them for three years. My ultamite goal is to acquire another 55 gallon so my goldfish can have it all to themselves. I'm just afraid that if I trade tanks with the guppies, that the guppies will multiply too fast for a 10 gallon tank. I mean, I only want two goldfish, but I really want LOTS of guppies....I will think about what you said though.....

Nov 13, 2007
btw, I went to another pet store, described the problem and she said didi you get these fish from _____'s Pet Shop? I said yes and she said that three other people were in just today saying the same thing, so apparently these fish did have an internal parasite....my ph was good, etc....

So, I changed 25% of the water, treated with the meds, and cleaned up my castle....I'm crossing my fingers and trying to do my best for my little friends!

Thanks for all the advice!!

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
You need to get those goldfish in a bigger tank right now. They're almost certainly already suffering ill effects from being in such a tiny tank.

You're also not going to be able to keep much else with them, as they will have different temperature requirements.

Goldfish can be surprisingly demanding fish..

~JW