Clear tank dividers - ok or bad?

anner123

Small Fish
Dec 9, 2003
Wichita, KS
communities.msn.com
Hi guys,
I recently got a betta for my desk at work. I got him a 2 gallon tank to hang out in (by himself), but while shopping I noticed a lot of little tanks for sale with a clear divider down the middle. Do you think that would be stressful/bad for the fish or not a big deal? I think it seems a little cruel, but maybe the two bettas would get used to each other after a while, I have no idea. Just curious what you guys think.

Anne

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I don't see any problem with it. Flaring at other bettas is just normal behavior; letting them fight is a different story, imo. I use one in my 10 gallon to separate a male from a female and a male gourami.

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
are you going to put a divider into the 2gal tank? Bc although pet stores 'claim' that they are happy to be kept in a cramped gal tank or less....its really not fair to the fish...they should be kept in a 5 gal or even better a 10 bc their actual habitat is quiet bigger an deeper...you shouldnt let him live in extreme small tanks just bc he can survive in it doesnt mean he should live their for the rest of his life, JMO

let me know how it goes! :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The clear divider would be "OK" but I agree that your betta will probably be happier with the 2g all to himself :) If you want to get another critter for your tank you should get an apple snail...they're a lot more interesting than most people think!

anner123

Small Fish
Dec 9, 2003
Wichita, KS
communities.msn.com
Oh don't worry, I didn't get one with a divider. In fact, they were all on smaller tanks, like one gallon (or less) and I wanted a little bigger one so I got the 2.5 gallon. I was just thinking that having two males with a clear divider would be like having to live next to your worst enemy 24/7. I guess if the tank was larger tho (say 10 or 20 gallons) they would have more room to swim and wouldn't have to just sit and stare at each other all day!
Anne