clicking sound

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok so recently ive been hearing a clicking sound every once in a while coming from my 55 almost like some one is taping on the glass with a key or something.... it has led me to belive that it may be a mantis or maybe a pistol...any thoughts????

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
there are some fish that click......such as clowns. My clowns click and grunt like crazy.....nothing like my pistol shrimp, his is quite loud......the clowns is more of a tap tap......

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
my hermits bang their shells against the glass sometimes. it's not too loud but still noticable. sounds like tapping a key like u said. i don't know if u even have hermits in ur 55 though. and like lorna said, some fish make sound too, what type of fish are in there?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
iv got hermits in there but thats defintly not it i know what that sounds like.... all i got i there is a pair of maroons a firefish and a watchman goby..... i have had a few dead hermits recently but havnt really notice broken shells...ill have to keep an eye on it

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
I can hear them across the room......they are the perc/ocellaris pair in my 75g......and they sound just like clicks against the glass.
i didnt know they can do that. i mean they look soft all away around...
everytime i heard a taping sound its aways my hermits bumping into the glass.

has anyone seen their hermit crab clime up the tank by using the silicone on the corners of the tank? i was wondering how he got on the power head lol

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Tapping is no way to tell if you have a mantis. Only way to tell is a visual of what ever is making the tapping noise.
ive heard a mantis sometimes will make a similar sound wich is why i ask...if i had a visual i would have a better idea...we'll see.. the whole setup is coming down in the next month when i move

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
My money is on the maroons clicking away.........

"Hi folks,
I've been trying to find out exactly how my Clarki clown makes that clicking sound. I've found plenty of web sites that affirm, "Yes, they make noises.", but none that explain how they do it. Special click organ? Grinding teeth? Biological proton acceleration? As you can see, I'm really scrounging for answers.
Happy Holidays,
Craig
<Hee hee! It's... their teeth grinding... using their gas bladder to add volume (as a resonator)... other fishes generate sound with articulated bony body parts (e.g. triggers), stretching muscles along their bladder (e.g. croakers)... Bob Fenner>

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Fish are known to use their swim bladders to make vocal type sounds used for mating, warning, and other reasons... I heard that on TV last night :) I thought that was pretty cool... sound moves thru the air at about 1000fps whereas sound thru water moves at about 4000fps because water molecules are more densly packed than air molecules....

One great way to see if it is a mantis is either the broken shells or to stalk your tank at night with a flashlight with a red filter/lens to see if there is a mantis... the red light cannot be seen by most aquatic creatures for some weird reason... I use my old army flashlight with the red lens to scope stuff out and even bristle worms aren't scared off by it...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
they don't see the red light as that is the first colour in the spectrum to be lost......therefore most marine animals etc do not have red receptors as they rarely need it.....

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
If you use a red light to try and "trick" a mantis, im sorry to tell you they can see red light. They see the full spectrum of light we see with many other colors, along with polorized light and UV light.

burtoncb47

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
i experience, what seems to be the same clicking noise in my 30g, i do have a small pistol shrimp in there (which i havent seen in a while =[ )

sorry i just had to say this how do u all know all this stuff about how fish mak noises are u all like marine bioligists??!! its preety amazing how much evryone here knows!! its a real big help for noobies like me have questions! thanks!!!!