Cloudy mess

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
I started my saltwater fish/reef tank this week. I added 150 lbs of southdown sand to a 40 gallon breeder. I then added 20 gallons of RO water. When I added the second 20 gallons of water to fill the tank, I stirred up a lot of the sand. What do I have to do to get the water to clear (besides being patient) I read that the bacteria in live rock will eventually coat the smaller particles and help them settle.

My question is, should I keep my powerheads running?

In Earth Science, they teach you that the faster a stream is running, the larger the particles it can carry. It deposits the sediments when it slows down. Would I hurt anything (salt mix comes to mind) by turning off my powerheads? The only thing in the tank is water, sand, and a 3 lb piece of live rock I purchased today.
Thanks!

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
so when exactly would the water slow down in your tank?

I'd say leave them off unless its connected to an ug filter system.

This is just a guess based on the information you give, educated guess i suppose given my limited knowledge of reef systems. Just trying to use common knowledge :)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Be patient. Let the sand sttle of it's own accord. Keep the powerheads churning, and let it sort itself out. This may take a week, but this isn't unusual.
You need to learn patience - only bad things happen quickly in reefs and SW