Cloudy Tank with Reef Ca

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Whenever I add SeaChem Reef Calcium, my tank becomes cloudy for about 12 to 18 hours. I am using the right dosage. What I am doing wrong? Is that normal?
Rohn

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I just recieved my bottle of the seachem clacium today, when I do my water change and test calcium (guessing i need to use it) I will let you know if I experience the same amount of cloudiness you do

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Frankly if you don't have lots of calcium using corals you can go down to about 350 and it won't matter a toot except your coralline won't grow so good. If you do water changes it won't go lower than that.

Be realistic. Whay are you adding calcium? What's using it, and how much? If you have a tank with jsut fish and softies, you have no need to dose calcium at all. And frankly just adding calcium willynilly is more likely to give you problems than not adding it.
Because if you start adding calcium you had better keep a close eye on your alk and possibly magnesium as well as artificially cranking up calcium alone to force coralline growth will deplete those other too, leading to a pH crash.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How much are you adding? Are you doing any alk buffering? This could be a couple of things tho' seachem say that you can't get straight precipitation of CaCO3 but don't explain why?