cloudy tank

slgcmg

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2004
ft. worth, tx.
Visit site
Does anyone know what could be the cause of my cloudy tank. I seems that it just started and I can't seem to figure out the problem. I have been running carbon in it but it is not helping like it usually does. How can I get rid of it.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Overcrowding causing a bacterial bloom is a likely start. Sell 3 of the tangs and one of the puffers. What are you doing for filtration?

slgcmg

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2004
ft. worth, tx.
Visit site
I have a DAS system with a built in protein skimmer. I have had these fish in my tank for several months. My water was crystal clear. I test it once a week and the only thing I noticed was my PH level was low, so I have been adding buffer daily to get it back to normal.

mudwoman

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
You said the carbon isn't helping like it usually does, so this has happened more than once? In that case its likely that something about your setup is causing this ongoing problem. I know nothing about saltwater, but I trust wayne and camaro to know what's up. :) Give away a fish.

slgcmg

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2004
ft. worth, tx.
Visit site
Just got home and it seems a lot clearer now. I think it was the PH level causing it. I usually leave a carbon in my tank because it makes the water a lot clearer than without it. I change 14 gallons of water every other Friday. :)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Could be the pH but more honestly I think it's the fishload. The high amounts of organic wastes from all those fish will also likely be driving down your pH by producing organic acids, especially as there's some messy eters in there.
Have you tried a ntrate test to see what's in there , and it's probably worth doing ammonia too just to be safe. How much live rock do you have, what substrate, how deep. How much stuff are you pulling out of the skimmer - with those boys it should be a lot , a cupful every couple of days. Sorry, I'm not familiar with DAS systems - is that a wet dry or similar.
I would go for a bit more water changes my self. 10 or 14 gallons weekly would be more normal, especially with those 2 puffers.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i tried to do a little research on DAS myself, having never heard of it...sounds like its supposed to be pretty good...its an in the sump wet dry as best as i can tell but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information available

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
OK, that's what I suspected. Then this guy really wants to pump up his water changes before the algae time bomb explodes. I'd like to see some nitrate test numbers.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oh, that's not so bad, not bad at all for an FO. Do you have a specific reason for running a low SG- I know a lot of shops recommend it, but I don't like it myself as it , and a low pH, can encourage cyanobacteria(slime algae). I don't think it's worth the bother for the small amount of money saved on salt, and it's not really low enough to inhibit diesease.
How much stuff is the skimmer hauling out?

slgcmg

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2004
ft. worth, tx.
Visit site
It is built inside the tank. It is 3 chambers, the filter spool, biological filter and the skimmer. the filter spool fits a round filter and a pump is hooked onto it. Water is sucked throught the filter and spit back out to the pump. It is a very easy to manage system. The skimmer is ran by a simple air pump, a hose, and a airstone. My skimmer was not working properly because the hose was bent and no air was going through it. I think that was the main problem. Right now my cup is not getting full yet because the skimmer is re-adjusting itself.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think some fish are fussier about SG than others. Tangs are one of those I think, butterflies are another, and I know fish from the Red Sea are better kept at higher SG's. The upside for shops is a fractional reduction in salt cost, higher O2 allows for fractionally higher stocking and there's a belief it reduces ich et al though I really don't believe. Certainly if they're all at .018 though you can drop the SG more quickly for curative purposes. For me the big nonos for low SG are most inverts are out and cyano is definitely in.
I have seen things similar to the DAS, though not the same. They can be made to work well, but you'll have to keep an eye on nitrates and do more or less water changes as is required. Typically the water goes into a first chamber where it's skimmed, then moves onto the wet dry or bioballs bit or whatever. It's always optimal to skimm the most heavily polluted water.