Cloudy tank

Dec 30, 2008
Hello all, I'm new to this forum.

I recently added some Aragonite sand to my 55gal tank. It has been awhile since I added the sand and my tank still has not fully cleared up. I took some pictures, but its hard to tell.

Any input on what I should do to clear it up.

Also i have noticed some white stuff on my fish?

Thanks
Matt

Attachments

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
How many water changes have you done? If its cloudy from the new sand then water changes will clear it up. You dont want to let your filter try to clear it up because that gunk will ruin impellers quickly.

If its cloudy from a bacterial bloom because the tank is pretty newly set up, you should give it a little more time to clear up on its own.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
just to clarify ich looks like grains of salt. Now it could be cloudy from the sand if u did not rinse it out well enough. and if it is a new tank recently set up then u are looking at most likly the cycle clouding up the tank.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
You must have not rinsed your sand out a few times before adding it to the tank. Make sure to keep your filter media clean. Rinse them off every couple of hours as they will build up some serious dirt that wasn't rinsed from the sand. I'm also not so sure about Aragonite sand in a Freshwater Tank. You may want to research if thats even a good idea or not. But like I said, I'm not so sure about that part

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
After doing some research, I found that by you using the Aragonite sand you are really raising the PH levels in your tank. You are going to have to counter them with something that will lower the PH, like a peat bag in the filter, or some sort of bog wood in order to keep all your fish alive and your water clear. You might want to do this quickly, and also check your PH right now before you lose any fish.