cloudy tank??

kerridawn

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2009
Yukon, Oklahoma
I recently upgraded my son's 5 gallon to a 10 gallon tank due to very green and cloudy water that would not go away with water changes. I knew that by going bigger it might be more stable and I was worried about his fishies. We went ahead and moved the fish in (we lost a few in the cycling process). I have noticed the water getting cloudy again. I have checked the water 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. Am I still cycling, and are these good? Should reqular water changes help the cloudiness. Also he keeps his hood light on all the time (at night as a night light) and during the day. Would this be causing the cloudy water? Any help please!!!

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Your numbers seem fine. i believe your light is the cause of your algae problem.
leaving on all the time is not good. i would suggest cutting it down to maybe 8 hours a day.
also how often do you feed ?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You can put the light on a timer if your son is too young to understand or remember when or why not to turn the light on. Actually, I have mine on timers because I don't like to go around turning them on and off.

kerridawn

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2009
Yukon, Oklahoma
Great idea to use a timer, do they sell them at the LFS? I have the tank blacked out right now, how long will it take for the algea to go away? How often should I do water changes? I feed the fish once a day, although I only have a guppy and two frogs right now. I was planning on getting new fish, but waiting for the water to clear. Thanks for the help guys.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
you could also look into a moon light if you really want light in the tank on at night. they are usually a blue led of sorts, you could also use red since the fish can't see that and it won't bother them.

I too would say use a timer and run the lights less, the green cloudyness is algae and there is to much light, also that much light can stress the fish since there is no dark period like in nature, the fish do need to rest and sleep just like us.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
How often should I do water changes?
i do weekly water changes of 25 to 50 % ( with conditioned water of coarse )
i would do daily till your algae problem is gone.
some feed every other day. i feed once a day but have cut back amount a lot.
and yes a timer is much easier. ill eventually get timers on my tanks.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
you posted as i was typing hahaha

I got a nice digital timer power strip with both day and night timers at petsmart for like $30

also live plants can help alot with algae problems as they are a diresct competitor for the same nutriants as the algae.

I've heard for an algae black out anywhere from 3 days to a week.

water changes depend on your tank size, stocking level, filter and water conditions - on a 20gal I try atleast 3-5 gallons a week rinsing my filter cartridge in the old water and reuseing (alot of us remove the activated carbon from it once it's dead since it really isn't neccicary)

also once you get the algae under control you could try feeding the fish alil less and twice a day.

if live plants isn't your thing make sure you vaccume the gravel to help get rid of the extra waste and food that settles to prevent unwanted algae and critters.

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
It would most likely be cheaper to buy a timer at a home improvement store.
As for the plants, yea floating plant are really easily and require little light but be careful some can easily overtake your tank. I like dwarf lilies, they're really easy and other bulb plants (onions,dwarf lily, etc.) are easy too.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
hornwart is good but it will over take the tank very fast as for a floating plant like that it will very quickly prevent light from getting through to the rest of the tank.

anubias are easy hearty plants just make sure the top of the root ball gets direct light or it will die.

water wisteria is also very easy low care.

dwarf baby tears look great and I hear they are on the easy side of things.

java fern and jave moss are both very good beginner plants, both grow fast and are easy to care for, java moss is used by alot of ppl to make carpeted sections to a tank or used to blanket drift wood and other decorations.

most aquatic plants can be left floating if you don't want them floating around alil fishing line (can't be seen in the water) tied between plant and a rock or decoration to keep it in a corner or such is a nich look.

waterguy1

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2009
for your cloudy water I would maybe get a lighting timer for your tank. if your son likes it as a night light, you can keep it on at night and off in the middle of the day. You should also probably keep the total amount of light to about eight hours a day. For your first live plants, I would definately get some elodia. You can float it or root it, and hardly needs any light. It will grow like crazy and it's impossible to kill. Java ferns also do very nicely and I have a couple in my five gallon betta/frog tank that are flourishing.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Jave ferns are great, but i beg to differ on that elodia. I've kept around 10 anacharis stems in my tank for two weeks now (they were planted). Most of them turned from birght green to dark green and some have chipped leaves, are brown and dying. they get a good amont of light. The same amount of light that my Cabomba gets, which is growing like crazy and rooting all over the place; The anacharis...not so good. I left all of them floating next to a corner now, hoping that ill see some improvement.

I guess its up to the water temps, and the chemistry as well.
I recommend Water wisteria, anubias and amazon swords as well. Hornwart can be a cheaper and hardier substitute to Cabomba. Dont know much about hairgrass yet, cuz i havent added it into my tank. I can say though that it requires trimmings, combing for debris, and strong light ( otherwise it grows very long)

Last edited: