Cloudy Tank

Jun 5, 2012
United Kingdom
Got a new tank setup for two days, I added a couple of plants yesterday but this morning the tank has a white cloudy apperance to it, Previously it was crystal clear. I sthis normal. I have ordered a water testing kit but untill it arrives Im guessing.

Richard

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Cloudy water in a new setup is not uncommon. It is likely a bacterial bloom which should be temporary. May also be fine suspended material, in particular if you used sand for a substrate and did not pre sift and clean the sand well. If sand material this can be an ongoing issue for some time.

Feb 27, 2009
Other than the plants, is there anything else in the tank yet? A bacteria bloom would require a source of ammonia. If there are no fish and you are not adding ammonia, it could indicate that there are decaying plants. Sadly, a lot of "aquarium plants" sold are not really aquatic plants.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
When you put your plants in you could have disturbed your gravel and caused gravel particles to be released into the water.
You don't have any fish in the tank and so I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it should clear up in a couple of days.