cloudy water 48 hours into cycle?

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Hi all,

I was a regular on this board back in the day, and have now just gotten back into fishkeeping.

So I started up my tank about 2 days ago. A 20 gallon high, black sand, AquaClear 50, Theo thermometer running at about 81F. I added a bit of Microbe-Lift GFCI to assist with the cycling process, but am not relying on it.

Added 5 giant danios after 24 hours (I've done the fish-in cycle before). They are very active and well-fed.

Tonight, the water is noticeably cloudy. Is this normal?

Feb 27, 2009
Cloudy water indicates a bacteria bloom usually. You say you have done a fish-in cycle before. You should already know that it is important to monitor water quality (liquid test kids are very helpful for this) and be prepared to do large water changes to keep the fish healthy.

But yes, cloudy water that is a bacteria bloom is 'normal' in the process.

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
I have the full API kit -- ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and have done readings both yesterday and today.

Yesterday, ph was 8.0 (about the same as my LFS -- I asked them today), ammonia was 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.

Today (just a few minutes ago), all was the same, except that nitrates are reading about 10-20 ppm.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Your test kit won't pick up the bacteria – just the chemical end result – so it could be that the Microbe-Lift GFCI plus the fish hascaused a bloom, which would also explain your most recent readings.

Then again, it could be the substrate settling down

Either way – just roll with it and keep testing

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
The chemical end result is Nitrate - (after the fish produce a chemical that a bacteria turns into another chemical which another bacteria turns into another chemical) - which is why we test for chemicals because it proves the presence of bacteria .......

But yeah - 20% water change sounds good - lol

If your test results are consistent, then that Microbe-Lift GFCI has really worked well - nice one