Cloudy Water - Algae?

Ravenstar

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2009
In Hoshi's tank the water has recently become moderately cloudy and pale green in color. My common sense says it's a small algae bloom, even though there are no living plants (everything is plastic), but I figured I'd ask here anyway. To note: recently we had a HUGE bloom of plants outside, so the pollen count has been nuts and everything near my window (tanks included) had a nice coating of fine yellow pollen when I noticed the water get this way. Also, my roommate left the shade up a few days in a row, allowing the dawn sun to shine right into the tank (I usually keep the shade closed). I've done water changes and they help, but then the water keeps getting that cloudy green color again.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Well, personally, I would do a 20-40% water-change and clean the tank thoroughly . Do you have a filter? A good filter is a HUGE help to any fish keeper, siphoning out most of the impurities, usually helping the water to clear up. You can buy them at any store that has fish for sale. Also, you could use a gravel "vacuum" and siphon the gravel. I bought mine at Wal-mart for about $7-$10, so they aren't expensive! If you truly love your fishes (which I'm sure you do;)), then you'll go and clean your tank out right now!! :D hope this helps!!

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Actually, val, clean tanks can and often do get algae. You make it sound like her/his tank is a pigpen, which you don't know to be true. A filter and a gravel vacuum won't solve an algae problem.

The shade being left up is most of the problem. Also, excess nitrates in the water can contribute to an algal bloom. Do you have a regular water change schedule?

A blackout is an excellent way to kill off the algae. Keep the tank covered completely with something that will block out the light for a week or so. I used a cardboard box with duct tape on all the seams over my ten gallon several years ago. Feed your fish well beforehand. Also, this is a filtered tank, isn't it? If it's an unfiltered bowl I'm not sure of the exact procedure for the blackout, except maybe to do water changes at night with just enough light to see what you're doing.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Keep the tank away from sunlight, do water changes using de-chlorinated water (of course) and don't clean the filter unless the flow is restricted. And if you do clean the filter use de-chlorinated water so you don't kill off the nitrifying bacteria.

Ravenstar

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2009
Wow, I had no idea algae got so out of control so easily. Thanks! I did water changes as scheduled, and the reason I was a little unsure is because I'm trying to cycle my tanks (to no avail, for some reason ;_; It's been over 6 weeks and I haven't seen the teeniest bit of nitrites. Even though the fish are in and I'm doing my best to maintain ammonia levels, you'd think after 6 weeks you'd start to see *something*...) and I didn't know if maybe it was a sign nitrites were about to start ravaging my tank as I want them to? Hm, well I'm moving out of my dorm in a few days, so a blackout won't be hard to do at all.