cloudy water...

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
I'm cycling with fish and today (first full day after adding the fish) the water was cloudy. I'm wondering if this is normal or if i should do a water change already? I tested the water this afternoon and the ammonia and nitrites were still 0.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
A whitish cloudiness during cycling is good. It indicates a bacterial population explosion... although it usually happens after the ammonia rises... greater food source causing more bacterial reproduction. Anyway, I wouldn't do anything right now just based on cloudiness alone. The important things to watch now, as you realize, are the ammonia and nitrite levels, as well as if the fish act healthy. You'll have time later to deal with any source of cloudiness once your fish's survival is more or less insured. :) (If your ammonia goes above 1.0 you'll want to do an immediate water change.)

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
homebunnyj said:
The important things to watch now, as you realize, are the ammonia and nitrite levels, as well as if the fish act healthy. You'll have time later to deal with any source of cloudiness once your fish's survival is more or less insured. :)
The fish all appear to still be happy, in fact the ones that i moved from my 3 gal into the 55 gal are doing better than ever so far.

homebunnyj said:
(If your ammonia goes above 1.0 you'll want to do an immediate water change.)
When that happens, how much of a water change should i do?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Eh...try 30% or so and see how that goes. You'll want to do enough to take the level down somewhat...but mostly give them some relief from the ammonia.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
25% everyday.if i nt mistaken bacteria xplosion wont cause anything till u c any ammonia lvl risin.un less it is grenish cloudi dat indicates phosphate.dat will be worst.hehez for me any cloudiness water ill start changin it to make sure a clean home for them........fish part of most ppl joined dis forum life.they rules

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
It may be 25% a day once it gets going...but I would NOT suggest doing it when you don't see any ammonia or nitrites building up because your cycle will really take forever. Generally if you do more water changes when its a bacteria bloom it wont do anything for the cloudy at all. Sometimes it looks like milk spilled in the tank...thats great...you just want to leave it unless you're doing a change for another reason.