Cloudy water

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Usually due to either a bacterial bloom caused by high ammonia/nitrite or sand particles, check your water parameters. Got a skimmer in there ?
Small and regular water changes might help + you could try the bio-marine polyfilter pads, they are excellent.

Melis

New Fish
Dec 8, 2007
Walorf MD
The tank has been up for about 9 months never had the cloudy until it got an alge bloom got rid of that with a diatom filter and my water has been cloudy since..I have been doing water changes 2X week. After the water change the tank is still cloudy but about 4 days after the change the tank gets a little better and stays that way for 2 days.Then goes back to being cloudy. I have a protine skimmer but that is no help. The tank is a 40 gal. breeder i have 2 porc. puffers, a pink tail trigger ,black banded trigger, lion fish, and a snowflake eel could it be to many fish, or what they eat brime and krill???

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think your problem may stem from too many fish in the tank that get very large. That much bioload would probably give you bacterial bloom problems. What are your nitrates at?

You probably have the right fish for a 400g tank, to be honest. Those triggers and puffers will get more than a foot when full grown.

Melis

New Fish
Dec 8, 2007
Walorf MD
That is what i figured, in the process of buying a bigger tank now, any reccomandations on what type of filter would be best,also do you know anything about seahorses? That is what i would like to do with the tank i have now once i get a new one.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
first off not only is there way too many fish in that tank but most of them dont belong in a tank that size even if the only fish ..... how big do u plan on going?? and what skimmer do u have?? and i agree with lotus that a sump/fuge + bigger tank is yur only bet ;)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Sorry Sferma12345 but your solution though will maybe clear the water temporarily it doesn't address the base problem which I believe as do the others overpopulation causing high nutrients causing bacteria blooms. This tank is heading for a crash real soon and the problem needs to be addressed..... soon, before these animals start to suffer.