Cloudy white water

Dec 14, 2007
Hey,

started up a new 20 gallon freshwater tank (upgraded from a 10 gallon)almost a month ago, got about 10 fish in there, about a week or so ago the water turned cloudy white. I have read all about new tank bacteria blooms and other causes, however, with trying several methods to clear up the water, nothing works. Is this a problem that goes away on its own, if so how long? Is there anything else I can try besides water changes, testing pH, reducing food amounts, cleaning gravel, adding water clearifiers? It does seem to be getting worse over time, but the fish look ok....

thanks -Brad

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, it will go away on its own if it's a bacterial bloom. You should test your ammonia and nitrites to make sure that it's not the sign of a mini cycle. Otherwise, the cloudiness is harmless to fish.

To be honest, cleaning the gravel might make the problem worse. Water changes are fine, but try not to disturb/clean the areas the bacterial colonize such as the filter pads, gravel and decorations (until the problem is over).

Be careful with water clarifiers, they can cause more problems than they cure. Particulate clarifiers won't work on a bacterial bloom most of the time.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I second Lotus, you can do some water changes if the water parameters are off (make sure to check this, especially since you just set up a new tank, if you don't have a test kit, take a sample of your water to the local fish store and have them test it for you, it's usually free). If the parameters are fine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, < 20 nitrates), you can just let the tank sit and clear up on its own, usually within a week or two.