clown fish looks as its dying .

split

Small Fish
Feb 19, 2006
my clown fish is sitting in the corner and is moving much ... what could be wrong? also - i have a lot of algae everywhere - could that be a reason if so how do i get rid of it?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would do a large water change. Sick fish and mucho algae dose not sound like good water quality despite what your tet kits might be telling you, or your interpretation of good.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
The others layed it down pretty well. And...

If the fish is not ill there is another possibility. Is he sitting litterally or just kind of hovering... he may be trying to "host" in that little space. It may not be the case though.

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
mushroomman has a good point: doyou have more than one of the same species of clown, and if so, is this one the largest one? if so, she may be spawning. the cleaning th algae being dangerous idea is that some algae absorbs high nitrates, and if you scrape it, these nitrates could leech back into the water causing another higher spike. as someone else said, a bad algae bloom generally means high nitrates, you may want to try another test kit, maybe yours is bad.

that said, the clown is one of the most resilient fish, I've cycled a new tank 3 times with the same false percula over the course of its 7 year life, they are tough. but if the nitrates spiked hard and heavy, this just be more than it can take. if you find high nitrates, a QT tank is a great way to treat, as someoen else already stated. good luck!

split

Small Fish
Feb 19, 2006
the clown fish died the day i posted this msg , he was dissy and moving round and just dropping to the ground . iv check all the levels nitrates were low as . but i have another fish in at the moment - its a black humbug damsel . i noticed the water temperature was above average , it was 34 'c or 90 'f .... could that be why it died? , because iv been having coral problems too , i had got my water tested at the shop = they said my calcium needed to be up . so i did that , and coral wouldnt last 2 days , could if be the water is to warm? ???? i have a bit of algae , but i did a 25% water change the other day - it isnt as bad . some one please respond to these questions thanks ,

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
oh, and the high temp can also favor an algae bloom, so thats another indicator. crank the heater level down. if its already down all he way, you may need a chiller to keep the temp steady, depending on the temp fluctuations in your home.

split

Small Fish
Feb 19, 2006
so you recon me having the heater on warmer ,
1 / could cause the algae bloom
2/ could cause the clown to die - also my valentini puffer died 4 weeks ago
yet i have damsels but they have looked fine all along

3/ could the warm water cause the coral to die aswell????? been throug like $50 of coral

reason being i had the heater up more because its a lower rated heater for a smaller tank , before i put it up higher the water wasnt warm by feeling it , i just though it wasnt warm enough - but the thermometer no shows in the safe level = maybe i will buy a new heater ,

do you guys recon this is the problem in my tank?

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Prolonged exposer to temps that high will definitly have ill effects on your whole tank!

I would highy recommend getting 2 heaters to split the job of just one.
This way it is easier to keep the temp at a steady level and it's also a way of avoiding a misshap if one should malfunction.

I wouldn't add anyting else to your tank until you get things sorted out!!!

Last edited:

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
split said:
3/ could the warm water cause the coral to die aswell????? been throug like $50 of coral
absolutely. 90 degrees is a very warm water temp. when the dreaded 'El Nino' strikes the pacific, there is always significant reef die off in the gulf. the advantage of a larger rated heater, even above required is that it will allow for smaller fluxuations when it kicks on and off. a smaller heater will work, but the temp curves will be higher, perhaps even spiking (like what you may be seeing). imho, a properly rated heater is a must. i like the ebo-jagers best, but thats me :)

good luck, and sorry you're losing so much

split

Small Fish
Feb 19, 2006
i went to fish shop and compared my specs - my heater is right , i had it turned up more because i didnt think it was around 25'c . because water felt cold , but actually it was so , things are sorted - i bought 2 corellamorphs today , hopefully they may live . this explains why my clown and puffer died ,