clown sex

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I read somewhere, in a book of mine that clown fish when ready to mate and both are the same sex, that one can change it's sex so they can mate. Is this a bunch of BS, or is that true? Also, whats the likely hood of breeding clowns in captivity and will clowns only breed if they have an anemone?

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
well they don't need an anemone. i've seen clowns host a lot of different types of corals. it's just cool to see a clownfish hosting an anemone. i wish mine would host my red bubble tip... haha

all clownfish are born male. once they pair off, the more dominant of the pair will change it's sex from male to female.

clowns first have to pair up to breed. then you have the delicate task of taking care of the fry.

Tim

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Once you've hada pair a while spawning is quite common. They don't need anemonae to do it, mine spawn every couple of weeks on a rock.
They hatch after 6 or 7 days, raising the fry is little bit more compicated than more most fresh fish, inc discus. Typically you need to do it in the dark, and depending on the species will likely to need feeding on rotifers. Some of the larger species can go straight onto fresh artemia, but the fry count will be much lower as only the larger fry will be able to feed.