CO2 with low light

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
I have poor lighting in my tank (55gallons, 2x15w and 2x 19W CF)

Is there any point in me using CO2?

I've got the supplies for the DIY CO2 apparatus but dont want to add it if it'll mess with my water chemistry.

I currently have 1 moneywort, 1 hornwort, 1 anachris, and some mondo grass. all are growing ok.

The co2 won't be bad or anything but it won't be worth the plant growth you get out of it because you have to buy the sugar and everything and change it like every 2 weeks to a month. But it will improve plant growth by a little to non noticable. As for the water chemistry, depends how much you stick in there and how much your pH moves around. It won't hurt if you aren't sticking too much co2 in there and the pH doesn't move too much but i doubt adding the co2 will do much to the pH cause on a 55g you will need 3-2L bottles to get into the danger zone and still there are a lot of factors that will decide how much co2 is in the tank. By the way, do you have a lot of surface agitation (waves) on top of the water. If so then adding the co2 will most likely be a waste cause it will just get thrown out of the water faster then your plants will be able to use it and with the low light its another bad thing. If it was my tank what i would do is ditch the DIY co2 and get a 2L bottle of Seachem Excel off bigalsonline.com and just dose that once or twice a week and you will probably get more growth out of that cause the carbon in there can't be thrown out and doesn't mess around much with water chemistry and its easier just spend half a minute a week to dose instead of making a new mix every 2 weeks.

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
I tried getting shop lights today but wasn't successful mounting them. so i went and got worklights, that have a little hood, but the best i could find was 2x40w.
does anybody have other suggestions?

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
thanks for the input guys.
The 2x40w didnt put either. it came with a hood that technically wouldve fit the tank, but the 2 HOBs get in the way.
i am trying 19W CFs on common desk lamps.
I've positioned two of these directly infront of the planted area in the tank - that means that there is aquarium glass between the lights and the plants. each lamp is about 4 inches from the glass .

is this a complete waste of time?
i'd get one of those kits on ahsupply but currently dont have the funds to do so...

Hmm.... the desklamp idea might not be as effecient. I think saving up for the AH supply lights is probably your best bet and the reflectors are really effecient. Even if you have to wait for another month to save up i would still go with the plan. If the plants are surviving and looks like they can wait that long then start saving :). Or you could get some Normal output flourescents and overdrive them, that way you only need like 2-40w tubes and that'll give you about 160w. Are you saying you can't fit the 2-40w right now? on a 55g theres supposed to be plenty of room for the 2-40w tubes even with 2 HOBs unless theres some other reason?

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
there's room for the 2x40s but it comes with a metal hood that is too wide. they might have smaller hoods in the store.
i've got two 24inch perfecto hoods on the tank now. if i went with flourescents, should i just ditch the hoods?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've been happy with the Coralife compact fluorescent strips (plus the legs and a glass cover), and they work out about the same or a little cheaper than an AH supply kit. If you have the plastic hoods, I wouldn't go for the AH Supply kits, as the hood you're retrofitting isn't that attractive.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
OverDrive, OverDrive, OverDrive!!!

PS: There is a link to a good overdriving thread in my signature below (click on ~4.5wpg ODNO), it works, and it is what I do. It is BY FAR thee cheapest way to get LOTS of light for only a few, and I mean few dollars.

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
NoDelta : i read your post on overdriving and it seems like a good solution
After overdriving the shoplights and getting 4 bulbs with 60W each, how do you mount them on your tank? Should i get rid of the current hoods?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
There are a lot of ways you can do this. I just stripped the ballasts and wiring out of the metal frame portion of the shop light kits. This was easy, and only required me to unscrew the ballast from the frame (3 screws). Then I used wood glue to glue the endcaps onto a piece of wood that was the same dimension as the top of my tank. I had the flourescent tubes temporarily taped in place in the end caps when I did the gluing so that the distances would be right for changing bulbs. I stapled the loose wires down to the wood as well. After the glue dries, you have the top part of the new hood. Then all you need is 4 pieces of wood to build the "walls" of the hood. Make sure to leave an opening in the back for filters, heaters, and equipment. The front piece of wood can be attached with a hinge so that it flips open.

If you use 4ft shop lights, and your tank is exactly 4ft long, then you do need to accomodate this by making the hood kinda' hang out an inch or so on each side to allow the 4ft bulb to be over the 4ft tank.

I am by no means handy with wood working, and have no tools short of a hacksaw and sandpaper, but I built my hoods and saved tons of money in the process. My wife, who is very particular about how things look in the house even gave them her "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval".

Here is a link to a thread about the DIY hood on my 20gallon river tank. With this tank, I wanted to keep the original hood that came on the tank, so I basically built the 4 sides of the hood, and then simply sat the original hood on top of my 4-sided frame. This way I did not have to design another hinged door, and I did not feel like I was wasting a perfectly good hood. I was able to get away with this because I mounted a single 24-inch flourescent bulb on each of the long sides, overdrive them, and get about 4.5wpg total, including the original normal output bulb in the stock hood.

I searched for the thread on the hood on my 29gallon tank, which resembles the description I mentioned here first, but am unable to find it. Instead, I found the pics, which I posted to my server, but apparently never made a thread for.

Here (below) is the 29gallon tank with DIY hood, as I roughly explained earlier:

And here (below), is the best shot I have of the ballast mounting and wiring inside of the 29gallon DIY Hood. The flip-up door on the front of this tank is nice because it gives me a good palce to keep my pH/KH/CO2 table and LFS business cards!

And here (below) is the DIY Hood I built for my 20 gallon tank:

Here (below) is how I hooked up the ballast and wiring on the 20 gallon DIY Hood.

SO, after all of that, to answer your question: "Should I get rid of my current hood?", I would say, whatever works best for you. You may want to incorporate your current hood INTO the modified hood design. If you choose to do this, then you end up with a SUPER ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT hood, as you are drastically cutting down on the amount of wood that you may use (if you choose to use wood int he first place). I think you could go either way, but if I were you, considering what I have learned about making a hood as easily and cheaply as possible, I would go with something like I did on the 20 gallon tank. I would mount tubes on the front and back walls, and then mount 2 directly to the bottom of the original hood. Superglue would work well to attach the endcaps and wiring to the underside of the stock hood. Or you could have two slender braces going front to back, one on each side of the tank, and "hang" the endcaps under the braces, again using crazy glue.

Feel free to PM me as I'd be more than happy to sketch something up for you with dimensions, or just brainstorm. I am ALWAYS eager to help a fellow DIYer!

Last edited: