Cold cathodesfor lighting?

Intermision

Medium Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Cold cathodes for lighting?

Has anyone ever tried using cold cathodes to light an aquarium. I have seen a few posts where people use them as moon lights, but not as the main light, I was just wondering if they where powerful enough.

Last edited:

Intermision

Medium Fish
Oct 21, 2005
What color cathodes did you use? I want a moonlight because my blue lobster comes out at night and I really enjoy watching him, but the flshlight spooks him.

Jun 15, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Well, you could go for something quasi-futuristic and order odd colors like red and green, with sound-activated white ones.. (not sure how the SA one would work in a fishtank, but hey...).

rhoymand

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
ok, I just got the dual 12" blue cold cathodes from ebay. wired it to a 12v DC adapter and it works perfectly. mounted it to my canopy and it looks really cool. its not as blue as i thought (which is a good thing). and since the adapter I used has adjustable voltage I can change how bright the cathode gets.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
What kind/type of power adapter did you use? I have 2 12" Blue Cold Cathodes sitting in my garage doing nothing at the moment. When I build my canopy it would be nice to include moon lighting, if all I have to do is hook up a 12v adapter.