color changing goldfish

stump283

Small Fish
Jan 18, 2006
I've had my goldfish for about a year. when I got them the one was white with gold spots and the other 2 were gold with light stripes. with in the last 2 months the white one has lost almost all it's color. any reasons or concerns that you all can help me with?:confused:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ditto, a lot of people buy goldfish for their markings. Sometimes they have nice black markings, or red, or white, but in the end, they all seem to fade into one color mostly. I had a pretty black and gold one when I was young, and I was bummed as he went all gold. Nothing to worry about.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
One of my goldies turned completely white, and the other one stayed gold. Both are in perfect health. I think they look better now *BOUNCINGS

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
I had one that was all orange with white markings randomly, he went totally orange, then a white spot appeared near his tail, then he turned totally white.

It seems to be pretty normal.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Black is the most unstable color in goldfish but other colors can also shift and fade. Good nutrition helps but nothing beats a summer outside in natural sunlight to encourage rich colors, especially black. :)