Color Fading in Coral

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Lets say you take out light and flow from the equation. What else could cause this, and if a coral was fading in color what could be done to bring it back.

Reason for asking, one of my rics is losing color. I did a full water test. Nothing.

Is it that important to dose chems. I just do reg water changes. 20% every week. A lot of people say that should be enough. But im starting to think otherwise.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
In the size tank you have doing a 20% waterchange every week should be more than ample to ensure that your levels are okay. I believe that your problem is bleaching due to the lighting, you are running m/h lighting are you not? Rics have lower lighting demands and as such need to be placed lower in your tank or in a shaded area, this should help them regain some of their color. Depending on how long you have had them in your tank would tell also as it may just be light shock. You can acclimate them to higher levels of light but this must be done slowly......and gradually. You may also want to feed them as they are losing zoanthelle and may need supplement feeding.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd agree with Lorna, if they're R. florida. Apparently R. yuma need a little more light. Are you feeding them at all? They may not need it, but they seem to appreciate it. I've noticed some of my mushrooms really hate it when there's too much flow.

Not sure why you'd take lighting and flow out of the equation.

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
Well is a 24g AP. The reason I took lighting and flow out is because the rics are in a very low flow spot under an overhang. I just moved a small neon ric higher in the tank and he seems to be coloring up!

I've noticed some color loss in my Orange Zoas as well, but i dont know if its really them or if its just my super bright monti cap I just got? That in turn is making the OJ ric look duller as well.

As far as the water i tested the following before my WC.

ammo- 0
nitrite/ate- 0 0
phosphate- 0
PH (lights on mid day) - 8.0
Ca- 380 (end of the week)