Combating algae

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
I somewhat of a nuicance in my 29g tank, there is new green algae almost every day, the side is full of it, and the easiest way to get rid of it is with a razorblade, so is there any easy ways to slow it down? I think that it is on too hard to get off for my snails.

Thanks.

Nov 5, 2002
Auburn, CA
Algae eating fish such as some varieties of Plecos as well as Swordtails and Platys. The snail should also be able to get to it as well??

Also you can try the algae removal chemicals in your LFS. I used AlgaeFix and it worked in my 29 gallon in about two hours.

<<<CAUTION>>>

This chemical will kill crustaceans including snails. I did not carefully read the package before I put it in my tank and my snail died about 3 days later. :(

Good Luck!!

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i'm not mr.salt but from what i know your best bet is to try using another form of algae to take up nutrients instead.have you tryed calupera?also i have read that some salt keepers just get used to cleaning algae once a day.perhaps a refugium where you can harvest excess algae that way you don't have to play in your tank all the time.is it a full blown reef or just a fish only tank? sorry i know i probably wasn't much help.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Do you feel that you must take the algae off the sides and/or back glass or do you feel you should ?
If you feel you *must* remove it, then the best and easiest way is as Catfishmike suggested, adding some macro algae to outcompete the micro algae. Either in the main tank, or if you have fish or inverts that will eat it, in a refugium. Another tip is to reduce the amount you are feeding the fish....
If you feel that you *should* remove it, then I would have to ask why? Not only does this provide food for your snails, but as the algae releases spores, it is also feeding your featherdusters and coral. The snails will keep the algae short and trimmed, and eventually coralline algae should take it's place.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Nitrates near zero is a bit of a worry- it's a fact of life that most test kits are absolute rubbish and inaccurate, and having a bed of 2 inches of crush coral is a bad omen. Slime algae is p.i.t.a. to gt rid of as well. See if you can at least slow down it's growth
Try a lot of smallish water changes to get nitrate to zero, while really hoovering out that gravel. Live rock with macroalgae might help as well. There's abig lump on algae control on wetwebmedia.com

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
I don't think it's a slime algae, I believe from NTidd's description of it being tough to scrape off the glass that it's more of a turf algae rather than slime. Slime algae will not so much cover the glass as it will rocks, powerheads, sand or cc. Not to mention that it is very easy to physically remove it.....