Community fish that eat fry?

Timster

Medium Fish
Dec 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Hi, I'm thinking about getting some guppies for my 20 gal tank. However, heard some horror stories about tons of fry surviving and taking over the tank. So far I have 8 neons and 5 serpae tetras.

Any suggestions on fish breeds that will take care of the fry?

Thanks,
Tim.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Your serpaes should help as should the CAE. Anything larger than a guppy fry will help manage the population, even the parents themselves. I don't know of any vegan fishies, they'll all jump at the opportunity for a little protein.

angel51431

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
just about all fish will eat fry gladly if they catch them. in guppy-only tanks my fry usually live just fine. But in my two big tanks its rare that i see a single fry-let. As long as the fish are fast enough to catch them, they will. Of course their mouths have to stretch far enough too.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Angels do love guppy fry and I've read that it is very good for them (promotes growth, heath). I'm sure it's good for any fish. However, I've found that often my angel is too slow to catch them....maybe in a smaller tank it would be easier, not sure.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
have a friend with an angel in his tank...
had it for years...along with platties...
he was amazed that after a week i had plattie fry...
as in all that time ...he had never seen one in his tank...

angel...fry slurper supreme... :)

Sep 8, 2005
I have platies and swordtails in my angel tank and i have not seen fry in over a year. My danios in my 100 gal keep the fry in manageable numbers. So does the betta on a really good day. He is a slow mover.