Plants

Java fern
Anubias barteri
Nymphaea rubra
Cryptocoryne albida
Barclaya longifolia (Orchid Lily)

normal gravel no substrate

Bog wood

liquid fert once a week and after water change.

[video=youtube_share;DE-vCx3_VoM]http://youtu.be/DE-vCx3_VoM[/video]

Equipment

2 x T5 lights.

Fluval Fx5 external pump

2.5 kg twin bubble counter Co2 unit modified from a D&G unit

Home made diffuser

external UV light unit.

internal filter standard Juwel unit

[video=youtube_share;_x-Uj3Amnzg]http://youtu.be/_x-Uj3Amnzg[/video]

please comment, and can any one tell me how to get rid of the dark patches on the java fern leaves.

many thanks

Jan 23, 2012
Aurora CO
Very nice tank. Your flying fox remind me of my Siemese algae eater. I think your shark is actually a rainbow shark(Epalzeorhynchos frenatum). Everything about this tank is great. Long clawed shrimp, almino shrimp, cardinals and a royal pleco. Nice selection. Even the plants are thriving. Thank's for showing how it can be done.

nitromax

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
London
www.nitromax.co.uk
Very nice tank. Your flying fox remind me of my Siemese algae eater. I think your shark is actually a rainbow shark(Epalzeorhynchos frenatum). Everything about this tank is great. Long clawed shrimp, almino shrimp, cardinals and a royal pleco. Nice selection. Even the plants are thriving. Thank's for showing how it can be done.
Hi

thank you for the comment, your right, I thought Siemese algae eater was called flying fox.

did not know about the shark, when purchased it said red tail shark on tank.

many thanks

nitromax

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
London
www.nitromax.co.uk
The Red Tails have just that a red tail and the rest is black. The Rainbows have all red fins as yours does. They get pretty big too, up to about 6" or so. Very nice looking fish! See here:Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Rainbow Shark
thanks for the information.

can you help me with the dark patches on the java fern leave, I do not know what it is and i have done searches, with no luck.

nitromax

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
London
www.nitromax.co.uk
Looks like algae. If it's not taking over, I wouldn't fret too much about it, but you can try spot treating with hydrogen peroxide or even a diluted bleach dip.
I don't think its algae, it like brown patches on the leave, when I first got the Java fern the leaves were bright and green, now it has these brown/black spots and patches on it.

Jan 23, 2012
Aurora CO
Hi

thank you for the comment, your right, I thought Siamese algae eater was called flying fox.

did not know about the shark, when purchased it said red tail shark on tank.

many thanks
I believe your flying fox are the real flying fox fish. They do look awesome in that huge tank.
Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus (Bleeker, 1850)

The Flying Fox is the most colorful of this fish group. For this reason, it has gained popularity in the U.S. over Crossocheilus siamensis and "false siamensis". It comes from the flowing waters of Thailand, Sumatra and Borneo. Wholesalers sometimes deliver this species as Siamese Algae Eater. This fish is also known as Trunk Barb.

Mine is similar and I thought it was a true Siamese algae eater but have figured out it is actually the

"False siamensis" (Epalzeorhynchus sp. or Garra taeniata)

This algae eating barb strongly resembles the Siamese Algae Eater. It comes from the same region and at least young specimens can school together. These fish are often mistaken for real Siamese Algae Eater. Up until now, it seems that the real Siamese Algae Eater has been a rarity in U.S., and the "false siamensis" is often sold as Siamese Algae Eater. More confusing is that many respected Aquarium books (e.g. Baensch Atlas, Volume 1, english edition) present this fish as the Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis). This fish has also been sold as the Thailand Flying Fox. There is still some uncertainty regarding the true identity of this fish. Markku Varjo states that it is the Siamese Stone Lapping Fish (Garra taeniata Smith 1931), but other very knowledgeable aquarists (including Heiko Bleher and Fumitoshi Mori) believe it is some species of Epalzeorhynchus.

Look here for more info if interested.
Algae Eating Cyprinids from Thailand and Neighboring Areas

Last edited:

nitromax

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
London
www.nitromax.co.uk
I believe your flying fox are the real flying fox fish. They do look awesome in that huge tank.
Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus (Bleeker, 1850)

The Flying Fox is the most colorful of this fish group. For this reason, it has gained popularity in the U.S. over Crossocheilus siamensis and "false siamensis". It comes from the flowing waters of Thailand, Sumatra and Borneo. Wholesalers sometimes deliver this species as Siamese Algae Eater. This fish is also known as Trunk Barb.

Mine is similar and I thought it was a true Siamese algae eater but have figured out it is actually the

"False siamensis" (Epalzeorhynchus sp. or Garra taeniata)

This algae eating barb strongly resembles the Siamese Algae Eater. It comes from the same region and at least young specimens can school together. These fish are often mistaken for real Siamese Algae Eater. Up until now, it seems that the real Siamese Algae Eater has been a rarity in U.S., and the "false siamensis" is often sold as Siamese Algae Eater. More confusing is that many respected Aquarium books (e.g. Baensch Atlas, Volume 1, english edition) present this fish as the Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis). This fish has also been sold as the Thailand Flying Fox. There is still some uncertainty regarding the true identity of this fish. Markku Varjo states that it is the Siamese Stone Lapping Fish (Garra taeniata Smith 1931), but other very knowledgeable aquarists (including Heiko Bleher and Fumitoshi Mori) believe it is some species of Epalzeorhynchus.

Look here for more info if interested.
Algae Eating Cyprinids from Thailand and Neighboring Areas
Your right, I was told that a few shops do try to sell off fakes, but I was told they use pencil fish instead, and the only way to distinguish the two is from the tail, the Siamese Algae eater has the black line which goes across the body from face to tail, where the pencil fish has the same black line but stops just before the tail.

I have had a argument with the aquatic store a few years ago trying to pass pencil fish as Siamese Algae Eater with a higher price.
Any one see the work Algae eater they normally jump to get them to keep there tanks clean.

I do not shop at that store any more, they have shut down now.

I do like these fish they are very active, and like swimming in a school, happy family.

thank you

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
It looks like it is mostly on the older leaves. This can indicate an inbalance in nutrients (usually too much light and too little CO2). It can also indiate a normal reproducitve cycle, as the fern puts off plantlets from older leaves. This link shows a good photo of the plantlets that can develop later.

Java Fern plantlets

nitromax

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
London
www.nitromax.co.uk
I have loads of those small plantlets, most of my friends come round and harvest them for their tank.

the temperature is at 28.c

light is 2 x T5 bulbs, comes on at 6am till 9am then goes off
then comes on at 2pm until 9pm then goes off.

the Co2 I have a diffuser in the tank which has around 1 bubble per second.
and a second co2 attached to external filter, with a diffuser which has around 1 bubble per second as well.

I just tested the ph and it shows its around 7.1

so looks like co2 is not enough for the tank.

is that correct?

Feb 27, 2009
pH of 7.1 is only part of the picture. What is your KH? If you know those two, provided you are not adding any buffers, you can calculate the dissolved CO2.

Are you running a 'waterfall' type of filter? If so, make sure the level of water in the tank is not too low, as excessive 'splashing' will offgas your CO2 level.

What watts are your two T5 bulbs? T5 only gives the diameter of the bulb, not the watts its putting out.

Aug 19, 2011