Compact Flourescent bulbs.....

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I need to replace the bulb in my light fixture since I got it used and have no idea how old they are. It is a Current USA 36" 4 X 96W fixture.
-Should I get 2 Actinic 460nm or 420nm? What is the difference and does it matter?
-Do I want Duel Daylight or 10,000K? I have not coral now but hope to down the road.
-Would it make sense to get 4 duel 10,000K/Actinic 460nm instead?

Thanks.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
u could prolly get away with just 2 bulbs for now and than when u think your ready for corals get the other 2 bulbs cause they dont last all that long and 4x96 is unnecessary in a fowlr IMO ...... there not not cheap either and if you
dont get them all at the same time the light actually changes color ( not as bright)

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I would not have bought his fixture new, but I was able to pick it up for next to nothing so I figured it would work for now. I was just a little confused when I went to order the bulbs. What is the difference between Actinic 460nm or 420nm and does it matter which? Also, would I want Duel Daylight or 10,000K and what is the difference?

I may jump in with some of the low light corals while I still have this fixture. It looks like the bulbs are about $35 each, but I think if I replace them now I will have probably have moved on when these need to be replaced. How long to they last? Will I get a year out of them?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
at 6 watts per gallon you can get by with alot im not so sure youll need to upgrade over the next year unless you want hard corals

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
PC isn't as intense but it will get the job done for most corals. If it were me I would add 2 daylight bulbs and one 460 and one 420 actinic to cover both spectrums. I do not like 50/50 bulbs since the actinic half of the bulb tends to burn out quicker then they daylight half. Actinics really do not matter as they are usually only for your viewing pleasure by giving the tank a nice deep blue color.