compact fluorescent bulbs?

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
I have a 5 gallon freshwater aquarium with fake plants with a 15 watt incandescent bulb in it and i'm getting bored of the dull colors it produces. I went searching for bulbs and found some fluorescent and compact fluorescent bulbs. At walmart i found a 20W fluorescent bulb for $5 and at petco i found a 10W compact fluorescent for $14. the compact fluorescent has a white and blue bulb on it. will the more expensive bulb look any better? what's the difference between the two? thank you.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
The one that is white and blue is intended for reef aquariums. (Actinic blue being the blue part of the bulb.) It will create a nice moody effect if used in the freshwater aquarium, but will likely promote algae. It would be a waste of money really...unless you want to pay for the cool lighting effects.

Also, unless you intend to grow real plants, or lots of algae, 20w is a bit high light for the 5g. So be careful not to leave it on for too long should you choose it. See if you can find a lower wattage bulb if possible.

Or you might consider learning about some plants and trying them out. You'll have really good lighting in that tank after all, so it would be well worth it.

Hope that helps.