compatibility between different shrimp

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i want to get 2-4 peppermint shrimp, 1 banded coral shrimp, and maybe 1 pistol shrimp
first of all, is this too many shrimp? i've been reading about these shrimp, and i've read hints of incompatibility--is this true?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes. I have a coral banded shrimp in my 30 and am likely removing it as I want to put other shrimp in. Some people will tell you Stenopus are 'usually' or 'largely' harmless to other shrimp but that's in big systems. Mine keeps my fish on their toes, and I am sure he would 'dismantle' any other shrimp.
I would rather go for a cople of peppermints, a couple of striped cleaners and/or some of the fire red Lysmata cleaners.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ive always been a fine of the blood shrimps (aka fire red lysmata) myself but they are relatively expensive and I decided to go with the peppermints ($7 each instead of $30 each) to start out with...in a 29 i personally would only keep one species and if i was getting a coral shrimp i would just get one

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Usually the smaller shrimp like peppermints or lysmata can be kept in a group. However the Coral Banded or Boxer shrimp can and will harm other shrimp.

Sam Reef