compatible fish?

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
will gobies and blennies get along in the aquarium?

like ohh say a lawnmower blenny and a diamond watchman goby... both are supposedly aggressive to own kind, and both kinda resemble each other

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
If the tank is big enough possibly. But in your 20L I would try and pick one or the other. No need to spend the money on the them if there is a chance they are going to kill one another. Nor is it worth putting them through it.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
not saying i want to put them in my 20 gallon, i have been done stocking that tank for a long time now... just a random question that poped into my head, wasnt quite sure if they were like fresh water bettas where its best to keep them away from anything that resembles themselves

and if i were to try and stock these(not saying i want to) they would go into my 120

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I have a lawnmower blenny and a yellow watchman gobie in a 55. They have been in there for quite a while now. On occasion I'll see the blenny dart at the gobie, but nothing other than that. Could be the blenny was one of my first fish. I do not think you would have any problem in a 120.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
In a 120g, territoriality and fish compatibility aren't the same. My friend has a 120g, and he mixed a 8" yellow tang with a new Sailfin tang , a new Powder blue tang and a purple one. All those fishies would normally kill each other...no...they are friends. Weird huh ?
Also, 6 to 8 blue damsels are in it, a weird goby, purple pseudochromis, 2 maroon clowns and a butterfly. No problems, even tough it looks overcrowded.
As long as they have a lot of rock structure and places to hide, it can be done. This guy is lucky and he gambled, but hey it works!

FreshKid

Small Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Theyll be fine. In our 800 we have 3-4 broomtails, midas, 2-3 lawmowers. As far gobys we have 2 diamonds that are inseperable and a gold face sleeper.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
not to say you dont have an 800, but i see alot of posts by people on forums that claim to have extravagant set ups and have like 5 posts... not saying i dont belive you, just saying i dont belive you ;P

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
absolutely rolling here....too funny.....

okay I have a bi-colour blenny and a diamond gobie in my 75g no problems....the diamond stays near the bottom and the blenny near the top.....haven't even seen them together at the same time.....oh and to make matters worse.....there is also a blue stripe fang blenny in there too....and he hasn't taken a bite out of anyone and I have had him for about 3 weeks....either that or he is starving.....