Compatible Fish?

I might be getting my first saltwater aquarium next week, yay!
I have decided on some fish if I do get one.
I was wondering if all of these fish are compatible and how large of an aquarium I would need to house them. Also feel free to give suggestions of fish I should get.
Here are the fish
Yellow Tang
Percula Clown
Royal Gamma
Flame Angelfish
I would probably add some other fish later on too, so I would get a bigger aquarium then needed.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers!

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Welcome to the salty side of life! The clown, Gramma, and flame can be put into a 29gal together[being the minimum size]. Once you start adding fish like tangs and surgeons is when you are going to need to get a bigger tank. I just added my first 2 fish to my SW tank about a week ago and I LOVE them sooo much. They are truly amazing. Good luck!

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
For fish i personally love all clownfish. I also love flame angels and royal grammas, i plan at on putting at least one or both in my 29. I like scooter blennies, yellow watchman gobies, mandrins[hard to keep], way to many to list.

Haha
I love all of the fish that I have picked out right now, especially the Gamma. The colors on him are just amazing. There is a fish that I saw at my LFS, and it is BRIGHT blue, with a BRIGHT yellow tail, also it doesn't have any black on it, so it can't be a Blue/Regal Tang, and I was wondering what it is. If it is something that stays sort of small (nothing bigger then a foot), then I will probably get it.
I am probably getting the 55 gallon tank, since the guy is selling it for $89, including all of the stuff needed for a reef. I'm going to call him and reserve it, and have him set it up so I can see and make sure everything is working right.

Last edited:
Yay! Then once I get my pay check next week, I'll go over to his house. I just called him, since my friend gave me his number, and he said he would have it set up by next week for me.
Having a saltwater tank will be a good time filler for me since I am making frappichinoes all day...
If it helps, the blue fish was only little, maybe about 1.5 inches long. That is probably not as big as he'll get though.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
That sounds like one of the damselfish... not sure which one. Maybe a yellowtail damsel. They (almost all damsels) are evil little buggers, and will harass almost any other fish you get. Including clowns and tangs.

If I were you, I would check out the stickies at the top of this forum, especially the ones about setting up an aquarium and live rock. Also look into a good saltwater book. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist," and there are lots of other good ones. It will save you a whole ton of money if you research things first and start off right, rather than fixing stuff later on. You won't be adding fish to the tank quite yet, so you've got time to plan everything out.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would pass on the tang even in a 55 though most sites will say a 55 is large enough. I have a yellow tang in my 75 which is the same linear length and I believe he would like more length to run. Tangs are kind of messy also and will limit the amount and size of other fish you wish to add. They are hebivores and poop like a herbivore hence the messiness. If I were you I would go with the 55 and look for a nice pair of clowns (same species) and I prefer the percs and ocellaris as they are calmer and less aggressive than say the maroons and clarkiis. DO NOT rush out and get an anemone for the clowns they don't need one and you need a mature tank for an anemone. The royal gramma and flame angel are good choices as are midas blenny and other gobies. A 55 will also house many of the fairy wrasses which are nice additions. All these will get along in a nice community tank and are reef safe.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I agree, tangs really need larger than a 55g tank to be happy. They need both a lot of swimming room and a lot of dissolved oxygen. Just remember that saltwater stocking is a lot lighter than freshwater stocking.

Don't forget to get a quarantine setup!

I MIGHT sell all of my freshwater stuff, other then the tank and get all new stuff for the saltwater QT. I'm not even going to think of buying fish until I get EVERYTHING that I need for the tank, including a QT, so it could be a year from now. Anyways, I am taking notes on this in a little book I have (=P I'm such a nerd) for referance when I do set the tank up. As a question, when I get the live rock, how would I transport it from my LFS to my house? I am about fifteen minutes away from the closest fish stores.