Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I have in a 20G tank:

4 Fancy Guppies (2 male 2 female)
1 Male Betta
1 Amano shrimp

a good amount of Java moss
one small clump of Anubias Nana

I was jut wondering what you guys thought of the compatibility of the shrimp, the plants and the pairing of guppies (I want them to breed). I know red flags go up with bettas and guppies, but my buppies' fins are fairly small so far and the betta pretty well ignores everything in the tank :p.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Typically with livebearers you want more females than males, otherwise the males will tend to be a little too rough, too often with the females. In addition, not sure if you want the baby guppies to survive, but the parents will eat them and the betta will eat them as well.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
hahaha sounds good. I think I'll pick up a breeders net or something to save the babies. I thought that with my java moss and the plastic plants I have that are full of hiding places that some would survive. I will see after the first few drops anyways.

Thanks for the insight. I might try adding two more females- two for each male.

Will that over stock my tank? That would make 6 gupies, a shrimp and a betta, plus the babies over time?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd be one of the ones to throw up a large red flag...when I tried putting guppies and a betta together both parties ended up with battle scars. If you're bound and determined to try though, yes definitely at least two females per male and the shrimp betta and 6 guppies doesn't overstock a tank, but you'll need to be careful about how many babies you keep in there. Babies do best when moved to a different tank, away from their parents and other fish in the tank, cleaner/warmer water, more frequent feedings etc.

skratikans

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
im glad to hear that theres a betta in a 20gal tank! i keep mine in large tanks as well...the setup sounds good to me..however the betta may one day decide not to be so friendly to the guppies...may be months down the road or it may never happen, depends on the betta's personality

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
ok. So far the betta has been so snobby he just ignores everyone else in the tank lol.

And I have a small area that is heavily planted now, so the guppy fry should have a good chance to hide form good old mom :p.