Complete tank set ups!

Jon

Small Fish
Oct 29, 2002
KENT ENGLAND
Visit site
I am at last ready for my salt walter purchase!
Can anyone recommend a good make or website (uk if poss!) for modern day aquaria with hidden sump in a stylish cabinet.
I have been looking in my local area Marine centres and the only ones suitable look a bit like coffins.
When i did find one i liked it was for tropical fish (rena classic set up!).
I was advised if i wanted this tank the Hood would have to be cut and modified so that the skimmer could be added.
Has anyone had the same problem as me and managed to alter a tank to suit their needs.
Thanks for your help.

Jon*celebrate

Jon

Small Fish
Oct 29, 2002
KENT ENGLAND
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!
This is very spooky as i have just found this exact system set up on waterzoo.co.uk website.
£995 for 3 ft tank and £1395 for 4ft.
This seems pretty reasonable for a complete set up do you agree or do you have one?
Only come in black colour though!

Jon

Jon

Small Fish
Oct 29, 2002
KENT ENGLAND
Visit site
Sorry to still whittle on but i have now had 3 different quotes for starting an aquarium ranging from £1500 - £3000 without fish or water.
Today i contacted a shop in East sussex who were very helpfull and gave some good advice i had not heard before.
They mentioned a Eco System with minimum maintainance using miracle mud.
I said i had not heard of this before and he said it is new to British people but used a lot in the States.
Can anyone comment on this system as this does not use a protein Skimmer which i thought was an essential part of any set up.
The site to see the Aquariums by customers is www.paraquatics.co.uk
I like the look of the Mud aquarium and supposidly needs hardly any water changes just RO water top ups.

Jon

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Well it's supposed to work though I suspect the cycle time might be a bit longer than usual. Also it'll struggle with a big fish load though it's reputed to give less trace element dosing problems than a skum system.
If I was going reef I'd consider it, though maybe I'd keep a skimmer handy, but for a FOWLR I'd go skimmer. See wetwebmedia.com or reef central for more opinions.
SO what hardware options are you getting for 1500 - 3000 - I assume these tanks are larger than the aqua medic and don't include live rock in that price.

Jon

Small Fish
Oct 29, 2002
KENT ENGLAND
Visit site
Well the £3000 included Tank & Cabinet / Skimmer / sump / 2 power filters / sump / piping / 2 man x 2 day job at £680 cost(to set the tank up) 40 pounds of Fija grade A living rock i could go on but this tank is only 3 foot so i think it is well overpriced.
I was fussy with my choice of cabinet so i guess a custom one is more expensive.
I am getting a qoute from the site i mentioned above for a 40 inch tank (rena) customised with 2 quotes 1) Eco mud 2) Berlin system to see if they differ by much.
Check out the site and click on customers tanks and see what you think of the mud tank!

Jon

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well the 3000 does sound a bit excessive - 2 power filters on a 3 foot..... frankly if you've got that sort of money I would just push for a larger tank. What fish inverts do you want to keep? Do you really want a sump - if I had the choice between a 3 foot with sump and 6 foot without, well I'd go without, but use one end as 'technology corner, and maybe try and wall off the other end as an 'intak refugium'.
Eco mud - v skimmer. If I was going for large fish I'd be safe and go for the skimmer everytime. You can always do both together.
I assume you odn't like the appearance of the aquamedics?

You need to see as many tanks as you can, and decide what you like, don't like, then build the tank round that.

Jon

Small Fish
Oct 29, 2002
KENT ENGLAND
Visit site
Originally posted by wayne
Well the 3000 does sound a bit excessive - 2 power filters on a 3 foot..... frankly if you've got that sort of money I would just push for a larger tank. What fish inverts do you want to keep? Do you really want a sump - if I had the choice between a 3 foot with sump and 6 foot without, well I'd go without, but use one end as 'technology corner, and maybe try and wall off the other end as an 'intak refugium'.
Eco mud - v skimmer. If I was going for large fish I'd be safe and go for the skimmer everytime. You can always do both together.
I assume you odn't like the appearance of the aquamedics?

You need to see as many tanks as you can, and decide what you like, don't like, then build the tank round that.
The aquamedic tanks are not bad but i have only seen them in black which i am not too keen on.
I prefer either a chrome/ silver looking colour with the light coloured wood stand.
I like most marine fish but unfortunatley i cannot keep my fav fish Picasso Trigger for a few reasons :-
1) Need big tank - i can only have a 3 feet tank (in the room i want it in!)
2) They are fiesty fish that should be kept single and with caution with other fish.
3)Corals and inverts will be destroyed.

So i am going for a pygmy Angel,a couple of clowns and maybe a royal gramma or a Hawkfish if these are not suitable? i might get some yellow tailed Danmsal fish.
What would you recomend in a small 3ft tank?
I will probably go with the mud scenario because from what i have read about it,the maintanance is minimal only calcium suppliments and water top ups need to be done for a sustained period.

Jon