Computer parts in the tank

wnatw

New Fish
Feb 12, 2007
I'm starting up a new tank and have been searching long and hard on Google to see if using old computer parts as decoration would harm any fish I end up getting. I'm talking about old ethernet cards, internal modems, etc.

I'm aware that some motherboards contain heavy metals and whatnot, but these that I have are certified ROHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) compliant.

Can I just boil them before dropping them in, or am I going to kill the fish regardless?

FYI on ROHS:
Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
think of the underside of every card has poky prongs that are fine for human skin but poor old nemo swimming by will get torn up by them. Not a wise idea as stated by others as they would surely corrode in time. They may not be hazardous but by no means are they meant to be tossed into water as a decoration.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Maybe you could use these items behind the tank as a background? I have see a couple tanks with electronic parts behind them and it looks rather neat and doesn't affect the fish or water...

Just a thought.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
That's a great idea, Virgo!
This whole idea sounds intriguing...I'm very curious to see how the setup takes on the whole 'computers' theme.

Reminds me too of the thread (one of many, I'm sure) a while back where we threw various theme ideas back and forth---I remember a 'prison' theme and various other ones too. Hmm...maybe I should do the prison one for my convict tank! *twirlysmi

Back to this thread though...
As for putting computer parts directly into the tank...hmm...
I'm sure there are some that would be perfectly safe. I mean, not everything needs to be a circuit board, right?

There are a lot of purely plastic items that are likely to be completely safe for your fish. Something that comes to mind is the outer housing of a mouse. Just remove all the circuitry and put the hollow shell in there. You could stick a submersible LED in the hole where the ball was.

Or is that too corny? :confused:

Let's see...what else...?
Can't come up with anything off the top of my head, but I'll think about it some more and see what I drum up.

BV

Oct 15, 2006
I'm thinking that throwing a gutted keyboard and mouse is into the tank somewhat safe, after some washing. Perhaps cover with silicone some parts that you can't really take out.

I'd actually think of throwing AOL cds in my tank after some careful washing (Get rid of spam and viruses huzzaaah!). I'd also maybe use a CD cakebox for some landscaping (glue some rocks on it and make it a cave).

As for actual circuit boards and stuff, i'd think twice. Many things leach out of PCBs which aren't safe for humans, much less fish. I don't know if there's a fish-safe silicone-type spray you can use to coat the boards, but I wouldn't try.

Bonus props if you find a way to use an optical mouse as an LED to light the tank :)