Concerned about power outages...

Dec 1, 2007
A couple people have told me where you have the holes drilled in the tank is important because in case of a power outage you don't want the water going into the floor. 2 days ago the lfs said that isn't what determines whether the water goes into the floor or not. shrugs shoulders. ....and of course he didn't want to explain it to me because he never wants to explain things to me. What are the other things that will prevent the water from going into the floor in case of a power outage. Also, I know there is a piece of equipment that cost betwen $30-75 (can't remember which) that keeps the tank going in case of power failure. Does anyone know the name or the link where I can see this? How powerful does it have to be? Which one do you suggest? The cheapest best one for a 120 gallon. Thanks.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
If you're really concerned about shorter term outages you could try a battery back up power bar and only plug your most essential equip into it. You can pick these up at any computer store for about 50 to 150 dollars. They're made to keep a computer going in the event of a power outage for various ranges of time (mine runs both my comps for a half hour in the event of an outage)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
all you have to do to prevent the water from flooding is drill a tiny hole in your return line right above the water surface so it will break to syphon ;) also if your concerned with flooding id go with an overflow rather than durso style

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The problem is, the LFS wants to drill her tank on the bottom. I don't see any way that it would work in the event of a power outage with that setup. Even check valves often fail.

Given that, what happens if the pump simply burns out or fails in some other way?

Personally, I'd try to find another LFS if the manager doesn't want to explain why he does things a certain way.

I believe that if you're willing to spend on a good tank, it's better to get a "reef ready" setup with a built-in overflow that will simply stop overflowing in the event of a power outage and not flood your house and leave the fish flopping on the bottom of the tank. Just my opinion :)

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
If you are getting your tank drilled for a sump then you need to have an overflow box installed surrounding the drain pipe and make sure the sump can handle the excess water run off of an unpowered system.

The overflow restrics the water from draining out of your tank by only allowing excess water levels to "overflow" into the chamber and then draining down the pipe into the sump, where it will then be returned through the return pipes via the return pump.

When the power goes out and the return pump stops working there will be no water entering your tank and therefor no water overflowing into the drain. What you need to worry about and what TRe talked about above is the back syphon on your return pipes. As the sump is at a lower level, once the return pump shuts off gravity will take place and the water in the return pipes start to fall back down into the sump creating a syphoning action on your tank until the syphon is broke. You can minimise the back syphon by drilling a small hole just "below" the max water level. This allows air to enter the pipe and breaks the syphon.

TRe I think you ment to say "just below" the water level... it would create a spray effect if it was above :)

You can also instale a check valve which restricts the waterflow to one direction... although they can be unrelyable once algea and/or minerals start to build up inside them.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
itd prolly come out to the same $ after paying the lfs to drill your + buy the tank as it would for a reef ready setup .... i had my tank drilled and it came out fine but i wish i would have just gotten a reef ready instead and saved some head aches