Conditioning Tap Water

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Simple and quick question to answer. When starting a new tank, can you fill the tank will tap water and THEN condition it, or do you have to condition it before placing it in the tank? I realize once the tank is cycled and contains fish, you will need to do the conditioning before placing new water in the tank. It will be a lot easier doing the tank in one shot instead of filling up a 5g bucket 15 times just to get the tank going.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
People do it either way. Personally, I add the dechlor to the water in the bucket first, then add this "already conditioned" water to the tank. But then there are people who have pythons that add the conditioner to the water in the tank as it is refilling.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
For a new tank do what you're thinking, Mainer, it's a whole lot easier! You've got the idea right, once the tank is cycled you have to be more careful about when dechlor is added, but I simpy add my dechlor then pop my python in to top off the tank while I siphon another tank (in the same room) :)

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Good deal. Doing it 5g at a time would have taken forever. I would just rather fill the whole tank at once and then add the conditioner. I didn't think it would matter either way, but with all the experience floating around this site, I thought I would double check.

TrpTwlght

Medium Fish
Jun 5, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.authorhouse.com
Also if you let your water sit for a few days before adding the fish, the chlorine will evaporate. That's what I do, I just make sure the water in my bucket has been sitting for at least a day. Then I don't have to mess with the chemicals. So if its a new tank you can just fill it up, and let it sit. So long as you don't have a cover on the top of the aquarium.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hmm

Hey...what happens if you let the water sit overnight AND also add a dechorl? Is that bad? Thats what I usually do...

Does dechorl instantly get rid of the chlorine? Or do I need to wait a few mins?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Dechlor usually gets rid of chlorine/chloramines pretty much instantly, if I'm using buckets I put the dechlor in, add the water...wait a couple minutes (or overnight) and then put it in the tank...but when I'm using my python I squirt some dechlor in while its filling directly into the tank.

Leaving a bucket overnight will dissipate the chlorine...but if you have chloramines in your water those will not go away unless you use a water conditioner/dechlor. Its not bad to age your water overnight and use dechlor...actually probably something everyone should do because of pH swings etc.