Conflicting Information

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I currently have a 75g f/w which I intend to switch to s/w in a few months. Doing all the research has left me somewhat bewildered. I purchase The New Marine Aquarium and the Concientious Marine Aquarist which I read cover to cover. I think I have a good feel of what I intend to do as I want a FOWLR. I plan on using a dsb and live rock to meet the biological filtration with a protein skimmer. I was recently in a LFS and was told not to put in a live sand bed with live rock????? in fact he told me no sand at all????? My husband thinks the lfs know more and wants to listen to him.......I say no, I will listen to the forum and the books..... Help????? :confused:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
they lfs isnt wrong, just old school, the old school style of though was that if you had sand it just allowed detritus to build up and served no function, now most people realize that it is a benificial place for nitrifying bacteria to reproduce, I would go with a sand bed for that reason as well as for me it is more aestetically pleasing, I also personally believe DSB are more effective in filtration. go to wetwebmedia.com and read about DSB and the pro's and con's.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Thanks for the input. That seems to be the general rule of thought. I will be using two 300 Aquaclear filters without media for water movement, do you think that is enough? Also any thoughts as to light wattage?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
better use powerheads too. Altough for the surface, i used 2 ac500 and it did a great job..maybe too much too..i removed one. The problem is that when your water is evaporating, the aquaclear will drop the water from higher and then it may create unwanted bubbles or flatten your corals. Just aesthetic problem. Even when i put the ac500 at his lowest..is still drop a lot of water...buy it's a 500.
Since you don't plan to have corals, fishes don't need special lighting or powerful metal halides.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Its more personnal opinion-aesthetics. Live sand and live rock combined wont hurt anything. Some reef keepers I know have no room for sand so they really don't use it. Whatever you feel confortable doing.

To counter what your husband said, Robert Fenner, who is the author of the Conscience Marine Aquarist is a long time diver and fishkeeper. I believe he has owned a store or two previously...probably has way more experience then the LFS employees. You could also check out his large website wetwebmedia.com if your still are not satisfied. He actually will answer questions via e-mail.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have to say live sand is a waste of money. Get some dead sand and let bacteria from the live rock migrate.
Bare bottom kind of works as it makes it easier to remove rubbish, but it is pretty high maintenance. USe a very thin sand bed.
Your water flow wil likely be low, so I'd get a couple of BIG powerheads, and I'd likely go expensive and get a tunze of rio seio. It's tough to have too much flow. As far as lighting goes, for a FOWLR use what you want, can afford. Does the tank come with a hood? What's in that already?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Currently I have a 75g fresh water set up with a glass hood and 2 x 24" flourescent lights. I know I will have to get better lights which isn't a problem though I want to keep costs to a minimum. The tank is not drilled so I need stuff to hang on back again expense at this point is the big thing as just the rock is a major expense. Thanks for all your input.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How long is a 75 - I would guess 4 feet. You need to find a way to lash in some 3 or 4 foot fluorescents as well. That should be a reasonable minimum, and not too cost for an electronic ballast, 2 bulbs + reflectors

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
wayne: correct, most US 75g are 4ft

if you plan not to have photosyntehetic inverts there is really no reason to up the lighting imo

get a HOB skimmer and some powerheads and you should be ready for live rock