confused about biospira and cycling

Sep 12, 2004
Visit site
My last tank setup didn't work very well, I had constant fungal outbreaks, and so I am starting fresh.

I have totally cleaned out the tank, throughly washed the gravel and bought new filter media.

I added Seachem Prime which is says it removes chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia as well as detoxifying nitrite and nitrate. It says it should be used during cycling to alleviate toxicity and to allow the bio-filter to more efficiently remove toxins. Is the bio-filter refering to bacteria?

So, if I wanted to add fish fairly quickly, can I use Bio-Spira with this product? And when exactly is Bio-Spira added? Before I add fish, or do I go to the LFS and purchase both fish and product on the same day and add them at the same time? Does Bio-Spira mean I don't have to cycle at all?

Thanks!!!

Gunnie

Large Fish
Aug 29, 2003
Florida
www.egunsellers.com
I don't think they recommend using prime with bio spira. I think the Prime eliminates the ammonia the bio spira needs to survive. Just get a regular water conditioner that treats chlorine and chloramines, and heavy metals if it happens to be on the bottle. Start Right made by Jungle is what I use, and you can get it fairly cheap at Wal-Mart.

I have used bio spira 3 times with perfect results. I always added the bio spira, then a full load of fish, and was seeing nitrates within 24 hours with no ammonia or nitrites. However, my source for my bio spira is a trusted one, and I know for a fact that his is fresh. If you don't know your lfs well, then what you might want to do is get some clear ammonia with no additives or detergents, and add enough to make your ammonia level to rise to about 4 or 5. Check it 24 hours later, and if the reading is at zero, you know your bio spira is working and it's safe to add the fish. If your bio spira isn't handled properly, you may get a batch of dead bacteria. The ammonia test tells you if it's good or not. I have never done this ammonia test, and it worked out fine for me, but if it didn't, I'd be doing a lot of water changes! If the bio spira works properly, you will already have a cycled tank once you add it. Some folks will get a small ammonia or nitrite spike, but that usually goes down quickly without having to do a water change.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd just add a quick 2nd to what Gunnie said. Follow the directions on the Biospira. Once you've gotten through a couple weeks and allowed the tank to stabilize you could go back to using prime if thats what you've bought a whole supply of or whatever. I use www.bigalsonline.com version of stress coat as my dechlor.