Confused....

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
Ok everyone...I'm new to salt water tanks. I just recently purchased a 55 gallon, and getting ready to start buying equipment for it. But there is way too much information out there, and way too many things to look at, that I decided to turn here for advice.

Filtration:My Main Concern
I have read so many things of what to use, what not to use, and how to use it. I'm beginning to wonder if it's all necessary. I was thinking of running a Rena Filstar XP3 rated at 350gph. I've heard good things, and the price isn't too bad. Now, I'm reading all kinds of things that I should have a Protein Skimmer with a Powerhead in the tank also. Do I have to have both?? I mean.. Just like anyone else, I want to have my tank look great all the time, and maximize my viewing time vs. my cleaning time. It would seem a little over kill to me to run a canister unit, and a protein skimmer???

With the filtration unit, if that's the way I go, is it still necessary to run a powerful air unit, ( other then powering an air driven protein skimmer?? )...Do I still need some air stones in the tank or would it be more decoration only?

For heating I have two 150w heaters to run on both ends of the tank, and reduce the workload of just one heater. From what I've read, it seems to be the most sensible...Good thing or bad??

sorry if some of this is old material, but I just can't seem to find any thing consistent with what I need....Maybe I won't, and I'll just have to work with it, and see how it goes... But I guess that's why I'm here....Thanks in advance

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Well the filstar won't be necessary. The carbon inside isn't used by many sw aquarists. The substrate inside would be ok. The foam is a nitrate trap. (tested ) I have an aquaclear 500 HOB ( hang on back ) in my 55 gallons. Only used to make current at the top, and put some rowa phos in it ( a chemical used to reduce phosphates ) along with bio-max ( porous substrate colonized by beneficial bacteria ). If you can afford a filstart XP3...then you can afford a skimmer, wich could me more appropriate. Read the sticky post about skimmers by Aresgod. I don't use airstones. Anyways bubbles in your tank isn't fun to watch. Got enough with my skimmer..i will eventually put in in my sump. A sump is another good biological filtration. Used as a wet/dry filter, it can do magic when you try to reduce nitrates. And you can have plenty of algaes in the sump that would eat phosphates.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dy...m&zu=http://w3page.com/fishline/gif/sump.gif?

Hope your heaters are good and can stabilize the temp you want. Bought a cheap 200W Hagen...sucked. You want 78, you have like 83. Bought a Jager, everything is great now and always the temp i want. I tought about buying two heaters either but my powerheads are circulating so much that it isn't necessary. Powerheads are very important in SW tanks. Got 5 in my 55 gallons.

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
Thanks...I was planning on using live rock and organic sand from the start.. Wasn't sure about crushed coral or not.. Haven't decided on that... But I was really up in the air with the skimmer...But it seems like just with the posts that have been done, that I was going to have no reason to run both setups...Is there any skimmer that is better then any other?? I've seen pretty cheap one's, and expensive ones... But yes.. I had no problem shelling out $139 for the Filstar, so getting a good skimmer is not out of the question.
As for my heating, I'm actually going to be running 2 Rena Cal Top Light excel 150w heaters. ( Hopefully they'll hold up.. ha!!! )
And hey.. Any other advice from the experienced masters of this forum are welcomed by this newbie :)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
go slow, patience and reading are key to this hobby, let you tank cycle for a full 2 months before adding anything, add one fish at a time, and use a quarantine tank, and dont forget to ask questions, good luck and welcome to the tank

Brahm

oh yea and get a nice skimmer, it is worth it, basically the backbone of your system

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
advice: read the stickies and get a couple good books (see stickies for suggestions)

people don't like crushed coral because it allows for pockets of gas to build up...plus im not to keen on its physical appearance

as far as what skimmer, get the best your money can buy you...

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
Well, I can definitely tell everyone likes to have fun in this forum, and of course has their own opinions. As far as reading goes, yeah.. I have some books at home... Some general knowledge books, and I have a friend that is also going to help out...But reading books is one thing, personal experience is another.. Not everything in the books always is the best for everyone, so that's one reason I was asking... and asking questions is one thing I'm not afraid to do.. Ha!!!!! I appreciate all the help so far..I think I may order my skimmer this weekend ... I've been looking a couple of different ones...Now it's time to decide how deep the pockets really are... Ha!!!!