Considering saltwater

love_fish

Large Fish
Sep 25, 2005
New York, US
Hello, after i sell my babies in my 10 gallon, i might get Dwarf Puffers ot convert it to saltwater. Of course, im 100% new to SW, so of course i have a few questions.

1. What are some good fish to put in a 10 gallon?
2. Do i need live rock?
3. Will adding the marine salt affect my already matured filter?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
1. small fish...gobies, firefish, percula or ocellaris clown
2. yes
3. yes. FW bacteria isn't the same as SW bacteria. But if you get cured live rock it basically cycles the tank for you because all the good bacteria lives inside the rocks.

I would recommend reading the stickies at the top of the SW section before you decide. A good one is 'things you need when starting a SW aquarium'.

Edit: Also read the 'Nano Reef a Step by Step Guide' sticky at the top of the Nano forum

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would also suggest that anyone going to sw should try to go as big as they can as it is easier to learn as it is easier to maintain water parameters when there is a larger volume of water than a 10 g which would see larger fluctuations due to the low volume. Also read as much as you can and maybe get a book or two such as Palletta's The New Marine Aquarium and the Concientious Marine Aquariust.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
love_fish said:
Yea, thanks for clearing that up Limi, thats what i meant. So do you guys recommend to wait for a bigger tank then to do saltwater?
Depends on what you are looking for. If you are satisfied with having a small tank with only 1 or 2 small fish and some corals and are willing to do lots of research and be patient, then I say go for it. (Although research and patience comes with a larger tank too).

I see no reason why a SW beginner can't start with a small tank. (I know some of you will disagree with me). If money is an issue, it CAN definitely be cheaper then larger tanks. Although, don't get me wrong, you will still spend lots of money - expect $250 - $300 just on start up (most of the expense being the light and live rock), then livestock, water, salt, etc.

There are tons of threads on here recently of people starting up nano's, I would suggest reading through them and all the stickies to help you make your desicion.

My nano is my first saltwater tank and so far I love it. All sorts of cool new things happen everyday with even just the live rock.

This is a change for me................normally in the FW forum I would be saying DWARF PUFFERS!

Let us know what you decide :)