constant battle with fin rot

Sep 22, 2003
VA
www.geocities.com
does anyone else feel like they have this problem? it seems like my bettas get fin rot alot. i use either melafix or jungle fungus eliminator. the tanks have heaters in them. i treat them for the right amount of time and the fin rot goes away. then it comes back again in like 2 weeks! whats going on here!? any suggestions? thanks!:confused:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
OK, my local betta breeders have noticed that pale (light colored) bettas seem to get fin rot a lot more often than dark solid bettas.

Do a full tank clean, I mean, all the water, rinse the gravel (a lot) and try doing a little more large-volume water changes each week.

What is your betta tank size?

Sep 22, 2003
VA
www.geocities.com
i have a 10 gallon divided tank with a filter that holds 4 bettas, two females and two males. only the males are having fin rot problems. i dont let it get to a bad point, the males just have somewhat frayed ends and i dont have the males housed next to each other, theres a female inbetween each. i do a total cleaning of the tank about once a month and then partial water changes inbetween then. then i have a 2 1/2 divided with two males in there, but that doesnt seem to get fin rot as much as the big one. i change the water in there once a week. guess im gonna have to be more dilligent with cleaning

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
With my Betta, I used Splendid Betta: Betta Fix Rememdy and kept him soaking in the medicine for a week and a half. I fed him every-other day to keep wastes down within the tank so the medicine would make a bigger effect.

I think a good cleaning would help get rid of whatever is causing this Fin Rot. Good luck!

mudwoman

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
I'd say get a bigger tank in addition to more water changes. It just keeps things more stable and keeps your betta less stressed and less likely to get disease. If you double the size of your tank then the bacteria/fungus will not get to such large concentrations quickly and your betta won't be as likely to get infected. I just moved my betta to a 5.5 gallon planted tank. My gosh! I had no idea he had so much color or finage on him! He was ok before but its really obvious he's happy now.