container size for juvinials

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hmmm... I would like to promote a minimum 1 gal size, but realistically, a 3/4gal jar or even a 1/2gal would work too.

It is not so much a size issue for the juvies, not for the first few months anyway, but IMO it is a water quality issue. Anything under 1gal should be cleaned twice a week, so it means more work.

My juvies will end-up in a custom betta barracks tank system I designed. Each get about 1.5 gallon of water, an airstone and foam custom filter, and weekly partial water changes, with a monthly complete water change.

I need to cut about 450 pieces of glass, and have a lot of caulking and airlines to make, but I am hoping to sell/consign my barracks with my bettas to LFS owners. The idea being, buy my fish, use my barracks to display them (versus cups) and everyone wins!

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
Visit site
wow thats a good idea and system. The problem for me is if I am going to breed my bettas, the males will beable to fit into is a cup. I would change them every 2nd day, but I am beggining to think that it is a bad idea, cuz they wont have very much room at all.:eek:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
A cup (1/8 gallon) is small and not a good idea if you want your bettas to grow at a nice rate. Small bettas do not sell and fish stores will not accept them till they reach a certain size.

Your males will need grow-out containers. Ask any relatives if they have any big glass jars lying around. Shoot for 1/2 gallon (1 litre) jars and do water changes twice a week.

Other ideas...
- clear plastic food containers with lids (poke holes for air)
- bulk food containers
- beanie baby containers
- rubbermaid containers

Start collecting right away. No glass jars get thrown away in my house!

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
Visit site
My problem is that I have to keep all my fish in the basement, where it is too cold without a heater. So all my male bettas, would have to be in a container that is floating in my tank. I would use plastic food containers, but they would soon cover the top of my tank. In other words I cant have a large spawn, but I dont know for sure if I can prevent that, and if I cant the males will be stuck in cups.:( :eek: Unless I think of some way to solve the problem, I guess I wont beable to breed my bettas.:eek:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Ya, I understand your problem. I have a basement fish room too, but I insulated it and put all my computer inside the room, so even my unheated tanks stay above 72F all the time.

If you can get a small space heater, and put the betta jars inside an enclosed room, you might be able just to heat the space for the winter months till it warms up again.

Mar 11, 2003
I divide 10 gallons with plastic canvas into 8 compartments for housing my bettas in my "fishroom", which is also a cold basement so they can be heated with an aquarium heater. I will attatch a picture and post a link that shows you how to work with plastic canvas when dividing aquariums, but I don't leave the space in the back, I divide the whole thing.

http://www.gntbs.org/dividedtank.htm

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2003
I had the same problem so I had to put gravel in the aquarium. I know other people had to seal the whole way down the plastic canvas. I'm gonna have to find a way to fix that next time I make another one.

Alexa

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
PreciousGems, why dont you try using acrylic sheets instead of the canvas next time?

you could drill holes in the sheets for water movement, and use acrylic sealer and silicone to keep it in place.

plus it has the bonus of being clear, so you can view all the compartments easier....

i suppose the bettas might flare alot more though