Convicts - advice/experience?

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
Ok so im looking for some advice on convicts.

Ive read a lot about them lately but nothing beats a bit of info from those with proper experience with them.

Im taking on a new tank in the next few weeks, its a 40gal (4ft long) tank. Its already established as it belongs to a friend of mine who is willing to part with it and hand it over to me, im just getting sorted out and back on my feet first and trying to get sorted with a suitable stand for it first and then I will take it off his hands.

Already he has a few angel fish in there and a few small cichlids, an inch or so in size, but he got them out of a store and they are labelled as assorted cichlid fry so they could be anything. Im not fussed on angels so I would be planning on parting with those and also those smaller cichlids as I dont think they would stand a chance against convicts.

He has sand etc. in it but I plan on doing my own thing with it and since my current 4ft 30gal tank is a community tank with fake plants etc. I think I will give some types of live plants a go and also mix in gravel with the sand.

I know cichlids are notorious for digging and tearing plants apart but ive read hardier plants like amazon swords and java fern are a good choice for convicts so I think that may be the route I go along with a few rock formations for hiding places etc.

If I do decide on convicts, are there any suitable tank mates for them? Barbs seem to be recommended due to their speed and ability to stay out of the way of the convicts?
Tetras maybe?
Perhaps another cichlid of similar size to stand its ground against them?
How would kribs fare against a convict?
Would they co exist?

How are plecos with them and other bottom feeders?
Any type of schooling fish? Would they stand a chance with their speed?
danios maybe?
I would also need to decide on weather to get a lone male, or 2 females?

Females supposedly show less aggression than males due to the males liking to defend a territory? Females are also way smaller than males so that may be a plus. I dont think there is much point in getting a pair as I wouldnt have other tanks available for any fry to grow out in and the aggression from cichlids when they spawn can be extreme to say the least and this is only coming from my experience with breeding kribs.
So I think I will stay away from a pair to avoid the breeding side of things.

Has anyone ever had experience with a real mellow convict? I know sometimes it depends on the personality of the fish etc. and some can be down right mean and others can get along just fine with other fish in the tank etc..

I would probably like to have a few other fish in the tank just for their activity and different colours and to make it interesting for the kids to watch etc but I would try to make sure they arent that small that they get eaten.

Are there any live bearers that would go well with convicts? Ive never had a real interest in rearing the fry from live bearers and only keep them as an extra food source for the current fish I keep.

Purely an idea at the minute and tossing a few different plans about.

If a convict(s) arent the route I go I may decide on a few apistogramma, bolivians and the like.. but convicts fascinate me and if I have a chance to plan a tank around 1 or 2 of them I would be very tempted, depending though on the limitations that come with them.

Thanks.